Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender NoLoad Pots as Volume Pots in Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basspete, Mar 8, 2005.

1. basspete

basspete

Sep 7, 2002
    I wanted to use Fender NoLoad Pots as Volume Pots in my Jazz Bass. My wiring works with the standard Pots but if i use the NoLoads then also when the poti is closed there is some output. maybee you can help me

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not clear whether this is an existing problem or a speculation. I've never had no load pots but to my knowledge they act normally other than when maxed - which theoretically takes the pot out of the circuit (increasing output and treble). There should be no output when they're at 0 because the hot lead of the pup should be effectively ran grounded out.

3. basspete

basspete

Sep 7, 2002
    it is an existing problem maybee there is a failur in my wiring, but if i use the regular pots then everything works

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    No Load pots should only be used for tone controls. A pot is used differently as a volume control, and the NL pot won't function correctly for that.

5. basspete

basspete

Sep 7, 2002
    Thanks a lot i thougt there was something wrong with my wiring

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    LOL. Looks like you're right. I'd even looked them up at guitar electronics and hadn't noticed that. Don't know why I was thinking they were volume controls. Maybe that will stick in the gourd this time.

7. basspete

basspete

Sep 7, 2002
    Does anybody know if there are pots which would work the same way as a normal volume poti but has a switch at the end to bypass the poti
    apologice for my bad english im from austria

8. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Use a DPDT push/pull or mini switch to bypass the volume pot.

9. basspete

basspete

Sep 7, 2002
    Are 3PDT Push Pull Pots available?? any sources i only could find the normal DPDT Push Pull Pots

10. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Sorry, dumb mistake. I meant DPDT.

11. basspete

basspete

Sep 7, 2002
    3PDT Push Puls would be also great for series parallel wiring with a balance pot
    i have heard that maybee warwick has used them is there any source for these pots?

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    If they have them, they are probably 25K and not usable for passive pickups. I am waiting on a Fender S-1 which will do the same (it's actually a 4PDT).