1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender P replacement necks - nut width.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by P-punk, May 6, 2010.

1. I'm currently toying with the idea of building, or having built my dream Precision.

When I look at the websites of the different companies selling necks (Warmoth, USACG etc.) it seems that their standard P-bass neck is 1 11/16 wide at the nut. But was there ever a Fender-made precision with that nut width?

The A-neck was/is 1,5''
    The B-neck 1 5/8
    The C-neck 1 3/4

Are the replacement necks a sort of compromise between a B and a C neck?

I have know doubt that someone here on TB can shed some light on this mystery (to me). :)

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Width at the nut is not the same as nut width.

3. ???:confused::confused:

4. Anybody care to explain this to me?

Have done some searching on TB, and if I understand it correctly the 1 ¾ neck and the 1 11/16 neck is the same. The difference being whether you measure at the nut or below the nut?

Please bear with me. Coming from Europe, used to the metric system and with English as my second language I feel kind of stupid asking the same question over and over again. :)

5. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Sorry I was unclear and had to hurry!

Yes, it is where the measurement is made.

If a measure is given as being the width of the nut, it is a measure of the nut, which will be slightly smaller that the width of the neck beneath where the nut is glued in.

The bread is a little wider than the butter. :D

I would contact the vendors and ask for clarification.

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    as far as i know, on vintage Fenders the C was 1 3/4" but the 'modern' C is 1 5/8's. and i'm refferring to the width of the neck at the nut, not the actual nut.

7. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I think it's just that American Precisions have come standard with the 1 5/8" nut for a long time, since about 1973. It's still a "B" nut width, and the vintage reissues have the period correct 1.75" "C." Fender also uses "C" and "modern C" to designate rear profile shapes, which is confusing.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    The '83 American Standards have 1 3/4" "C" necks.