1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Pawn Shop Mustang

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoogerMan79, Jun 9, 2018.

1. BoogerMan79

BoogerMan79

Apr 7, 2017
    Texas
    Swing into a local pawn shop for kicks and saw one of these for sale. I had never heard of them. Anyone have experience with these?
    vxinr9teddf8eimisvfr.

Spidey2112, Mustang Surly and Uncle K like this.
  2. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA

3. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    They were discontinued a few years back. Made in Mexico. I've never played one but I've heard good things.

BoogerMan79 likes this.
  4. BoogerMan79

BoogerMan79

Apr 7, 2017
    Texas
    I saw this when I was doing some research on it. I like things that are different. Quirky even.

Uncle K likes this.
  5. Uncle K

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    The new PJ Mustang is hot right now, but I'm gassing harder for that Pawn Shop. Mudbucker and competition stripe drool

BoogerMan79 likes this.
  6. BoogerMan79

BoogerMan79

Apr 7, 2017
    Texas
    Hell yeah... it's cool :thumbsup::bassist::woot:drool

Uncle K likes this.
  7. GManfromOz

GManfromOz

Jul 27, 2016
    This was my first "good" bass. Played and gigged for more than a year and found it to be a really good bass but lacking in real bottom end for my taste. Quality build for the price. I had some good feedback on the live sound from professional players so it's clearly a useful tool. Looks way cool as well.

BoogerMan79 likes this.
  8. BoogerMan79

BoogerMan79

Apr 7, 2017
    Texas
    I thought it was fitting I saw this Pawn Shop series bass hanging in a pawn shop. Sadly they want more for it than I can afford (which is nothing ATM).

9. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Always thought they looked interesting and wondered what those PUPs sound like. I've played the MIJ RI both with stock PUPs and upgraded with Nordstrand NM4s but not that one.

10. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    I had one of these for a brief period. Love the bridge, the construction is solid. Not a fan of the pickup.

"Pawn Shop" is a terrible name for this bass. when I think "pawn shop," I generally think "cheap, mostly poor quality but lots of variety." This bass is high quality with zero variety. One finish option, one pickup, one sound. And they're like $800 new. Fender's marketing division must have taken the day off.

BoogerMan79 likes this.
  11. BoogerMan79

BoogerMan79

Apr 7, 2017
    Texas
    The bass was offered in white with blue stripe, red with cream stripe and sunburst. As far as I can tell the Pawn Shop series were guitars and basses that Fender believed should have been made but never were. I wasn't able to play the one I saw, but seeing demos of them on YouTube had me intrigued.

12. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Fuquay, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    Really liked the one of these I haf. Sold it when I found out people pay a grand for them on Reverb =]

GManfromOz and BoogerMan79 like this.