1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender poly finish damage

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by adube810, Jan 18, 2018.

1. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    i have a fender MIM bass with a poly finish, I had it in my soft gig bag which basically has no padding....long story short the bottom of the body hit the ground a little hard and cracked off a chunk of the finish down to the bare wood. I dont really care about the cosmetic damage but I am a little worried about the bare unfinished wood exposed. Is this going to damage the finish further with changes in humidity or will I be ok?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

It’s fine. Nothing will happen. Trees live outside you know. Your bass lives inside, right? You’ve given that tree a more comfortable life indoors.

You can carefully wick some ca into the cracks to seal it and prevent any chips falling off.

3. Take off the neck & get to work getting the rest of that poly off. You'll appreciate how much better it sounds w/o any finish.

ruju likes this.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I sure hope it won't hurt any thing; think of all the unfinished neck pockets out there. I'm with 96tbird on this.

96tbird likes this.
  5. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    giphy-1.gif

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  6. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I've got a beat up MIM J I got off a heavy metal kid that had one of those Dimarzio double buckle straps on it and within the circumference of where those buckles could hit the body, there are assorted and sundry chunks and cracks in the poly finish. My first instinct was to try to fill the holes and just repaint it, then I thought I'd just strip it to bare wood and go from there, and then i decided I enjoyed playing it too much to worry about it. It lived for the better pat of 18 months in a gig bag in my van and it is none the worse for wear so I'd say unless it just bothers you more than you can stand, let it ride.
    As Mr. Tbird said, maybe do a little damage control with some CA, but otherwise I'd let it ride.

7. Ciacchi

Ciacchi

Mar 14, 2017
    Paraíba
    I have a similar problem and this interests me. How serious was the "go without any finish" comment? You can't say things like that to me, I'll start really thinking about it.

8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Don't know if he was serious but it’s poppycock.

Pilgrim likes this.
  9. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    Most likely the damage doesn't go down to the bare wood. Fender use a thick, transparent sealer coat on MIM bodies.

10. Ciacchi

Ciacchi

Mar 14, 2017
    Paraíba
    ok. anyway, my bass's body has a tiny fracture on the finish due to insufficient padding in my old scrappy bag (I already ordered a new one...). nothing alarming, even aesthetically it's not too noticeable. Should I be worried in anyway, is there any reason why I should do something about it, or any special care I should have?