1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender precision bass copy ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by demicami, Oct 14, 2013.

1. demicami

demicami

Oct 14, 2013
    I’m looking for a copy or something that looks like a 1960's sunburst Fender precision bass. I’m a guitar player but have been recording a lot more and in need of a bass. I love the Fender precision basses but don’t want to spend that much. So just looking for something that looks like one and plays good....just enough for me to lay down bass tracks.

Can anyone recommend some manufacturers ?

Thanks

2. Squier Vintage Modified is what you need. A solid P at all levels. And does not force you to open a mortgage.

3. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    What does the LOOK have to do with it? As long as it SOUNDS like it that should suffice for recording NO?

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    +1

5. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Oscar Schmidt OSB-400

6. Neek

Neek

Nov 26, 2008
    South Florida
    Come on, everbody knows at least 63.14% of the tone comes from the looks (burst/tort combo being the best sounding of them all)

:bag:

7. OP isn't allowed to get something he likes the looks of and will suit his purposes? man, tough crowd.

I have a Cort Precision copy that was 125 brand new made in the same factory in korea that Squiers were made in at one time. that thing is still going strong 12 years later. sounds and plays pretty darn good.

VM squiers get a lot of love and rightfully so, but I'd even check out the Affinity line of squiers. my drummer just picked up one used for a ridiculously low price and it has one of the most comfortable necks I've ever played, and it sounds like a P bass.

8. pudgychef

pudgychef In Memoriam

Jan 22, 2005
    Chongqing, China
    Squier VM as mentioned or a Classic Vibe - great P basses for the $ imho

9. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    They're P/J basses, alright, but they're made in PRC, so they're
    around $. 300.00 for new:bassist: and you kow what? They're great and with some relic'd look to them

There's a 3TS (and rosewood board) version that looks (and believe me "sounds") pretty '60s

Cheers,
    Wallace

10. Blickgang

Blickgang

Apr 9, 2012
    I wanted to expand on this a bit, for further discussion. I am in the Market for a P copy. I am looking for a copy with both the P pups and the J pups, but with out the J neck; specifically the nut width. Besides Squier, which uses agathis (what an ugly word!)wood for it's bodies, I am looking at the offerings from rondomusic (SX) and Schecter Diamond-P Custom-4. Is anyone familiar with the SX or Diamond P?

11. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    SX are surprisingly good for the money. Are they pro- level out of the box? No, but they are playable, have good tone and feel, and are easily brought up to pro-level with some upgrades.
    Schecter make good instruments too.

12. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    SX and Schecter both make good instruments. Either one would get you what you're looking for.