1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision Deluxe Special

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aasti3000, Jul 19, 2012.

1. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Does anyone own a Fender P Deluxe Special? I want to know if the Jazz neck with the P body and J&P pickups will allow the bass to give a Fender Jazz tone and also a Fender P tone all in one bass.

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I own one - and no, not IMO... it's more like a P Bass on steroids with a ton of tonal flexability... but then, I don't think any J/P can do a decent Jazz tone... Besides the Deluxe P Bass Special, I own a passive P Bass and 2 passive Jazz basses, and have owned tons of Ps, Js, and P/Js - so I feel pretty qualified to answer on this subject...

Here's mine on the left:

IMAG0589.

...and my Jazz's:

IMAG0578.

Truthfully, although I really like my Deluxe P Bass Special, it sounds like you *might* want to check out an Active Jazz Deluxe - they do Jazz sounds really well, yet can thump pretty good like a P Bass, and also have alot of tonal range...

Hope this helps,

- georgestrings

3. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Yup, that's the one I was seeing online. But the fact that you said "P Bass on steroids" makes me want to hear it. The Guitar Center near me doesn't have any in stock but I want to hear what you are talking about. I'm getting ready to buy my first bass. I have another thread and someone gave me advice about a "parallel" mod on a Jazz to get the P bass tone. His advice sounds more money saving because I did like the deluxe jazz...but my wallet said "Oh, hell no...I can't help you right now" LOL. Thanks (Nice arsenal of basses...may hit you with more questions if you don't mind.)

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Thanks - and I don't mind answering questions at all - glad to help... I really like my Deluxe P Bass Special - it's definitely a keeper... I've also had a couple of the Active Jazz Deluxe's, and really liked them, also - can't go wrong with either, actually...

- georgestrings

5. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Georgestrings - I forgot to mention I have huge hands. (this site is full of information that I forgot about that) I have another thread and mention the p deluxe special and they said the neck might not be good for my hands. (I tried a jazz 4 string and my hands cramped up after 5 minutes). Everyone suggested a jazz 5 string. But I still want to hear what "P bass on steriods" sounds like. Maybe when I get more cash I'll get a second bass with a thinner neck and just practice on it until my hands don't cramp. I heard that some bassist have that problem but it eventually stopped. I guess I figure if Pino Palladino has huge hands then he must of had that problem also. (He's the reason why I want to get into bass playing).

6. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    I'd agree with the "P-Bass on steroids" comment. The Fender Noiseless Jazz pickup is a humbucker, so it doesn't sound exactly like your typical Jazz bridge pickup. The EQ is pretty versatile, lots of sound shaping possibilities.

About the neck, if you're not comfortable on a Jazz, it may not work out. Honestly though, that's most likely a technique issue. There's some pretty big dudes out there playing Jazzes.

7. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    Here's mine...

I need to take it to the shop to de-gloss the neck (I prefer a satin feel).

It's definitely one of those "love it or hate it" basses, but I like it because it is a bit unique....and I'm a sucker for Jazz necks with the black blocks.

2012-07-12_13-55-50_412.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Very nice - I'm really diggin' those!!! No need to take it to a shop, though - a minute with a fine scotchbrite pad or some #0000 steel wool will take care of it, and is a breeze to do... If you choose to use the steel wool, what I do is put some masking tape over the pups, and stand the bass on it's headstock - I've never ended up with any steel wool debris in my pups that way, and the neck turns very nice...

- georgestrings

9. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    I would like one of these. I know I'm a newbie at bass but 5 strings seem more comfortable to me. I'm in negotiations with someone for trying to get his 5 string Precision deluxe with the fat pickup near the bridge. I think it's the same bass minus the jazz neck. These seem to be rare but I heard one before and I finally found someone who's selling theirs. But the deluxe special is something that I at least wish I could try out.

10. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I WISH they made these in a 5er. DAMN they are HAWT!

11. Get_Funked

Get_Funked

Dec 27, 2013
    Can't you just swap out the vintage noise-cancelling jazz pickup for an actual jazz pickup? Is it possible to upgrade the stock jazz pickup? I listened to a demo on YouTube (through quality headphones) and it sounded perfect when the pup/blend as dead even. It'd probably add a bit of brightness to it if you had a quality jazz bridge pickup.