1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Precision LYTE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hobobob74, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

May 21, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    i under stand the volume knob but what do the other three do. Thanks

2. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

May 21, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Bump

3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My Precision Lyte has 5 knobs -

Two big: Volume, pick up blend

Three small: 3 band EQ

4. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

May 21, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Huh, mine only has four.

There all the same size. I think there is only one volume and then three EQ things. I thought it was kinda dum you could only run both PU's at the same time, not the p or the J alone.

5. Hi hobobob74... My '92 Fender Precision 'Lyte' has 4 knobs... completely stock with the exception of the gold knobs upgrade. (Telecaster style)

One volume knob with no 'detents', and three EQ/blend knobs.. all with noticable 'detents' at about 1/2 range each. An excellent bass with super playability since I did all the setup myself.

6. Hobobob74

Hobobob74

May 21, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Which knob is high, mid, low.

7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I think that the best way is to find out for your self.

You should be able to figure out which one is the volume knob easy enough.

Check the others and see what they do.

Have everything centered and get a feel for what your low notes and high notes sound like. Then, one at a time, try the extreme settings of each knob and see what effect they have on your low notes and high notes.

When you find that one that brings out your highs more, makes you sound 'thinner', actually makes you high notes sound louder - that's your high EQ

Kind of the same thing for your low and mid EQ.

Check for a p/up blend too. I can't imagine a bass with two separate pick ups that doesn't let you control the blend. Some might mistake it for a low EQ as when you blend toward the P pick up, you'll get a lower deeper sound, and as you blend toward the bridge p/up you'll get a thinner more trebly sound. A blend knob will have a detent - only the volume knob wouldn't.

So when you're checking things out by putting your knobs in the extreme positions, you might be able to tap on the pick ups and see if you are getting sound from one and not the other in one position - and then the opposite in the other extreme setting. If so, that would be a blend knob.

I don't mean for this to sound the wrong way - but I think it's best if you played with your bass and these four knobs until you figure out what each one is. You should be able to tell what each one does.

8. mr sprocket

mr sprocket

Jul 31, 2006
    Dallas
    IF it is the small bodied P-Bass Lyte it should be vol, blend, treble, and bass.

9. post a picture of that fine piece