Fender Precision Special 1976 200 years US anniversary

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nilpla, Mar 28, 2018.

1. nilpla

nilpla Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Norway
    There is one for sale. It has 24 carat gold plated hardware and reportedly only 200 were made. Anyone knows anything about these ? A Google search did not do me any good. If it is that rare I may have to buy it..

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. Pictures would help...

Specials had gold hardware, but they didn't show up until 1980. I bought mine brand new in '81.

My memory may very well be faulty, but I don't recall Fender Bicentennial editions of any kind, while Gibson had some...

Good luck.

CaseyVancouver likes this.
  3. JTE

JTE Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I don't recall anything like that either, and I was a dealer from '77 - '88 and spent a good bit of time in the store in '73-'76 before I started working there. Plus, I don't recall seeing any ads for anything like this in Guitar Player in the day, and I had every issue starting with the Nov/Dec 1972

Jim Carr likes this.
  4. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    I’m no expert, but the fact that nothing turns up on any searches leads me to believe it's bunk.
    Plenty of results for the Gibson Bicentennial special editions, but not a word about one by Fender.

I have a feeling if there were only 200 made, they’d be kind of like the white whale - plenty written about them but few sightings. This seems to have neither, not even speculation about a special model.

I’d be curious to see what they are trying to pass off like this. Like said earlier, I’m no expert, but I highly doubt the authenticity...

Hopefully you can prove me wrong; plz share pics if/when you get them!

Good luck!

5. nilpla

nilpla Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Norway
    The add can be found on www.finn.no search for code 115923614 . I believe it is a scam..picture shows a relic'd white bass with gold hardware. Serial number seems to be G025767 and there is no match on the Fender site. The seller behind the phone number seems to be a bulgarian located inn Norway. I consider reporting the ad.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  6. Dluxe

Dluxe Guest

Jan 9, 2011
    That sounds like a normal Precision Special which were built between 1980-82.

nilpla likes this.
  7. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Fake. No 200 yr anny basses. Sheesh...

8. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    200 year anniversary in 1976? Ha! Leo wasn't THAT old!

4sight, nilpla and bobyoung53 like this.
  9. trkkazulu

trkkazulu

Apr 18, 2007
    I know the guy who’s trying to sell this bass. He’s a friend of mine. I’ve seen and played this bass. I’ve known him since the early 90s and he has always believed that this bass was authentic. He bought the bass from Manny’s in ‘76 or ‘77. We’re both completely baffled by how a bass bought in the 1970s would have a 1982 serial number in a place where Fender wasn’t putting serial numbers in the 1970s (on the headstock). We’re talking about this now. If anyone has any ideas we’d appreciate hearing them. Thanks!

Jair-Rohm

Jim Carr likes this.
  10. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    New England
    Does it have an extra knob/mini-switch, matching headstock, and does it weigh 300lbs?

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

(zombie alert) US Bicentennial was in 1976. I was 26 then and gigging a lot. I don't recall any bicentennial P-basses, but at the time, there were "bicentennial" versions of everything. That's said, I have never seen a bicentennial P-bass, but a '76 P-bass is not my idea of a desirable vintage P-bass. I'd look at a '62 or '63 reissue for tone and feel. Love my 1999 '62 AVRI. IMHO, it blows away the '68, '69, '70, and '71 p-basses I have owned, n.b., IMHO.

Last edited: May 6, 2019