1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender quality or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mespendez, Jun 6, 2012.

1. mespendez

mespendez

Mar 10, 2009
    I have been a Fender Man for over 30 years and have owned around 8 fender basses (both P and J). Over the years I have witnessed their QA go flushed like human waste down a toilet bowl. This truly breaks my heart for I would like to remain loyal but I am reaching the end of my tether.

My last Fender purchase was an AVRI '62 Jazz bass. It was pretty much like a wax fruit, visually beautiful but ultimately useless. The neck had a hump which was impossible to repair and demanded a ridiculously High action if I did not want to hear fret buzz. I sent it back to the retailer for a replacement but I have

2. mespendez

mespendez

Mar 10, 2009
    A gnawing fear that the replacement may be a lemon as well.

3. Sorry about your troubles.

I ordered a 62RI P and a 75RI Jazz several years ago (4-5) and they were PERFECT right out of the box.

I don't know if Fender QC is like buying cars.....but the old word was NEVER buy a new car built on a Monday...;)

Guess mine were built on another day of the week.....

4. Here's hoping that the replacement is better...

5. mespendez

mespendez

Mar 10, 2009
    Mine must have been built on a Monday after a particularly long weekend while the builders were still hungover from excessive partying.

6. I do hope you aren't going to judge all Fenders by just one lousy bass. It wouldn't be fair now would it? I see far too much of that.

7. Well, all kidding aside, things like this happen from time to time. The thing is, return it and get another. I sincerely doubt that you will run into like that again. ;)

If you do....I want to know where these guys are partying!! :D

8. mespendez

mespendez

Mar 10, 2009
    I am a loyal Soul, sometimes to the point of masochism as is my relationship with Star Wars. After the episode 1 fiasco I returned to watch episodes 2 & 3 much like some abuse victims go back to their abusers.

Finder will always have a special place in my heart.

9. mespendez

mespendez

Mar 10, 2009
    @Buster Brown Indeed they wouldn't want me to pay them a visit and open a wagon full of whup ass!

10. Dwight

Dwight

Apr 9, 2012
    i just got a perfect new avri 62j bass last week.

11. bushwhacker

bushwhacker

Dec 17, 2011
    Its really amazing as just before reading this thread I had started a new thread about how great my 62 AVRI J Bass is. My neck is just fantastic, and I could set it up with strings at a very comfortable height. I feel it is every bit as good as my 66 P - though it does weigh more, but I am sure that is due to the wood not having 40 years to dry out a bit more. Sorry about your experience.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    What is funny is the notion that Fender EVER had a period where everything they made was exceptional. Fenders were designed to be produced in quantity. The have always been great ones, and there have always been lousy ones. Nothing has changed significantly in this regard. IMO.

13. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    You should get a new Ric! Oh, wait.........sorry. Nevermind.

14. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I have noticed the total opposite, vast improvements in their quality through out the Fender line as well as the new Squire instruments.

15. mespendez

mespendez

Mar 10, 2009
    Had a Ric. It was very well put together and of excellent quality but in the end was not my cup of tea.

16. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Hope your next one is as golden as pony boy.

17. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    This is strange. The general view is that 70's to early-80's was their dark period, and that things have been improving since.

18. Funny - there was a time - in the early 80s - when I wouldn't touch a Fender for ANY reason. Yes, I was already endorsing someone else - but Fender had a reputation for LOUSY QC (whether or not is was deserved is another matter).

I found out later on (in the 80s) that their QC was actually not bad, but that it was an attempt by Fender's competitors to run them down. Competition is a mother*****!!!

Nowadays I play 2 builders - Fender and Rickenbacker. I will not touch anything else. It's got nothing to do with anything in particular, I just prefer the look and feel of both a good Fender P or J and a 4003.

I'm relatively certain that you got the one that "slipped" through. Doesn't excuse it in any way, shape or form but it DOES happen. I bought my Wife a car last year and we had to return it twice due to shoddy interior work. No big deal, but this crap does slip by from time to time.

Cheers!!

19. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    There was a good quality up swing in 08 or so, their more consistsnt since then but still hit or miss. When you find a good one though its good. Best bet is to buy from a good store ( bass central comes to mind) they generally weed through the bad ones.

20. chiron_griffin

chiron_griffin

Apr 19, 2012
    I have a 2010 Squier VM Jazz that I picked up used 6 months ago. After a truss adjustment, lowered action, and new strings it plays like butter. I'm not crazy about the pick ups, but what did I expect for less than 200 bones?