1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by circaftw28, Jan 13, 2012.

1. circaftw28

circaftw28

Jan 9, 2012
    Hey guys, this may be dumb question but could i take a fender to a shop and ask them to remove the finish? Like would that damage the bass at all? What i would really want to do is remove the finish and then put a custom color in. Are there any specific shops i go to for that sort of thing. Much appreciated for viewing and assisting, thank you.

2. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    It destroys the resale value.... And they can do it just as well as you can. Do some research on here for stripping and finishing techniques.

3. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    There are lots of custom guitar painters/finishers online. Just do a google search.

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    You don't have to take the finish off to spray a new color. Any auto body shop could do it as well

5. circaftw28

circaftw28

Jan 9, 2012
    Oh sweet cool, i might just do that then. Paint over it. Cause mine is just plain black and i actually want something more unique than that. Thanks guys!

6. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    You could also get another body, have it painted the way you like, and keep the current body so you can put it back to original later.

7. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    If you decide to paint over the black on your bass, you'll need to rough it (the body) up with some 180 grit sandpaper . No need to get it down to bare wood; you just need to knock of the gloss. Also, use a tack cloth or other method of removing all the dust before painting!. The cleaner the surface is, the better the paint will stick.

8. circaftw28

circaftw28

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanks chief that's definitely good info! Crocky thats also a good idea too, although i don't have the cash for another body right now :'(.

9. Might also want to investigate some decals instead of painting it.

For a Fender, that's what I would do until it got many dings.

10. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    180 is way to coarse to just scuff it and repaint. Knock down the gloss with 400.