Fender Rumble 100 vs Gallien Kruger MB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KenPompanoBeach, Jul 21, 2018.

1. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    Hi all, I'm playing a Fender Rumble 100 in South Florida Senior Big Bands. Much Fun! My 66 year old back appreciates it's portability (22 lbs). Lately, I'm not 100 % satisfied with the tone/clearity I'm getting. It's plenty punchy...but having tried all settings...it is a bit muddy. The other quality amp out there that is the right weight seems to be the GK MB112 at twice the wattage and 30 lbs. I don't see any side by side comparisons anywhere. Can someone give me their findings....having played both side-by-side? Thanks!!

alaskaleftybass and dralionux like this.
  2. G-Dog

G-Dog What a fun place! Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    I have found no site anywhere that specifically compairs the Rumble 100 to the GK mb112.

4. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    Just get the G-K, and be done with it!!;)

5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I have the Rumble 100 and it is a nice lightweight amp with a cheap speaker and a boxy tone.
    It is exactly what I wanted for acoustic jams or quiet practice; the tone is only OK IMO.

The GK with more power and a quality speaker is a much better amp at nearly twice the price.

SwitchGear likes this.
  6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I tried the Rumble several times in a local store...and thought it sounded fine...but lacked something.
    The same store had a GK MB110 too and that sounded just a bit more what I was after...so I ordered the 112.
    Very happy with it...flexible clear sound and has a solid depth to it.

It's all very subjective of course...you really need to hear one yourself to decide.

7. Many have had a similar experience with the Rumble amps. Whether you like that Fender tone is really personal preference. I had a similar experience with the rumble 40. Other than the overly (for me) bass-rich tone, I really liked the amp. My solution was to replace the driver with an Eminence S2010. the new tone has great upper mids presence, smooth mids and a more articular and extended bass - not thin or middy, and no muddiness. The same driver will work (even better) in the Rumble 100. You'll need to make a baffle board 12 to 10 inch adapter (a plywood board that covers the 12 inch hole and has a 10 inch hole for the new driver)). You'll also need to optimally tune the cab for the new driver by plugging one port and replacing the other with one that is 1 5/8 inches long. You should also cover the side and bottom interior panels and 1/3 of the back panel with 1-inch thick dacron to damp resonances and smooth the mids. This will transform the tone of that amp. Maximum volume will be about the same.

8. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    Thank you all! Ms. AstroSonic......I would imagine I could put the Eminence S2012 (12" ) in my Rumble 100 and it would be a perfect fit. Thanks for the very positive suggestion! I will investigate damping material..........Ken

AstroSonic likes this.
  9. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Tried them both and much prefer the GK MB112 for exactly twice the price of a fender rumble. I’m not big on the sound of a Fender combo (could be the head installed on the cabinets) but I definitely hear a significant difference between the two.

So my answer. GK ALL THE WAY!! I also like that GK has a dedicated 200 watt unlike fender where you would achieve its full wattage if paired by a fender cabinet which stinks :dead:

10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Not at all. It is just a design decision, and in fact, exactly the decision just about every major manufacturer (including GK) makes when the combo is designed to work with an external unpowered cab. The Rumble 100, for instance, is not designed to work this way, so you get the full 100 watts in the combo alone.

11. LOL, that's MR Astrosonic thank you! The picture is of my younger daughter dressed for a halloween party.

You could use a S2012 in the Rumble 100 (search the Fender Rumble thread for more on this), but the S2010 will perform better in the low-mid bass, and has a little more upper mids presence, but with around 1 1/2 db less sensitivity. The bass difference is due to the cab volume: to get the most from the S2012 about 2 cf internal volume is needed. I have a pair of 112's with the S2012 and 2 1/4 cf internal volume. The tone is phenomenal. However, it will still perform quite well in the Rumble 100 cab. For the S2012, the port tubes should be 3 inches long.

KenPompanoBeach and HaphAsSard like this.
  12. KenPompanoBeach

KenPompanoBeach

May 16, 2018
    Sorry, MR. AstroSonic !!!
    FYI.....I did the speaker upgrade in my Rumble 100 using the Eminence S2012.....and lined the interior with 1/2" Sonic Barrier.
    I appreciate your vast knowledge of what would be ideal.....but I have to report that for less than 1/4 volume playing with Big Bands the results are phenominal with just this easy upgrade. It took about 90 minutes. Every note on the neck is clear and warm....a MUCH higher quality response.

The BEST part is that the total weight is now 20.6 lbs. I purchased a Rumble 200....but for my needs I actually prefer the sound and portability of the upgraded 100.......go figure.

Miles_ONeal and AstroSonic like this.
  13. Glad this worked out well for you. The Fender Rumble 100 offer players a wide range of tones, ranging from the rich, warm, stock tone, to a more articulate, clearer tone (S2012), to a more hifi tone (S2010). All are valid, musical tones.

14. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Update:
    I orignially compared my tiny metal housing GK to the Fender.
    Honestly, neither of these really sound that great.
    Go with the MB112 for the tone quality and weight assuming you are OK with the price.

15. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Hey AstroSonic - Lenny here again to bother you with another question. Just got a Rumble 100 and did the change in the back to use the cabinet with the internal amp or use the cabinet with a different amp. So I was thinking about my Rumble 500 amp (only around 350 at 8 ohms I think). Should I do you upgrade with the batting, port and 2012 or should I kick it up to the 2512.

Thanks again for al your help.

G-Dog likes this.
  16. To pair it to the Rumble 500 head ([email protected] ohms) I would recommend the 2512, with the cab tuned to 55 Hz (2.5 inch ports). The slightly higher tuning causes a slight reduction in bass depth, but significantly increases excursion limited power handling in the upper mid bass, where it is most needed.

chupacerveza likes this.
  17. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @AstroSonic I found your YouTube video solution for removing a speaker from a Gallien Krueger MB112. Thanks! I have a small MB108 I was supposed to only use at home but ended up taking it to practices. Well, I pushed it too hard and although it's still working, sounds like it's ruined. I'm going to buy maybe an Eminence 8" 8 ohm replacement speaker rated at 250 watts so I hopefully won't run into this issue again. Anyway, thanks for posting the video on YouTube!

AstroSonic likes this.
  18. I'm afraid that video was not by me - it was by 'Alternaut'. He replaced the MB112 driver with a Dayton PA310-8.

I don't have a MB108 handy, but it appears to have a cab with an internal volume of about 0.9 cf - a healthy amount for an 8 inch driver. I suggest that you consider the Dayton PA200-8 for your MB108. With only 25w available, it would be safe to run plug-n-play (stock tuning) with no worries about over-excursion. It will probably sound better tuned a bit lower (60- 65 Hz). This driver (or the Eminence) will take everything the amp can give it. If you need maximum volume, I suggest the Beta 8a - it's about 3 db more sensitive than the Dayton. They Dayton will sound a little richer, but still have good note definition. The Alpha 8a will sound best sealed. It will likely need a little bass boost which will eat up some of the limited power, somewhat limiting the maximum volume. The Dayton and Beta will not really need bass boost, but will take it well. Whichever driver you get, try it near your practice volume (with the grill off) and watch that the cone excursion is not excessive (over 1/4 inch P-P).

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  19. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Again, thanks much. I'm leaning towards the Alpha 8a from Amazon because when I included shipping on the Dayton, the price--even USPS almost matched the price of the speaker! And I know for a fact that the price of shipping is inflated on their side. I shipped a 10" speaker to Utah once and it was less than $40.

20. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    And yet another update:
    Tried the Fender with one of those ancient Boss parametric pedals.
    Sounds much better pulling some of the lower mid range mud.
    Much less boxy and clearer, and the thing is so stupid light weight.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021