Fender Rumble Head - fix vibration of metal case

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by randallphish, Feb 22, 2021.

1. randallphish

randallphish

Feb 22, 2018
    Hi all,

I have a fender rumble 500 head and the metal enclosure for the head seems to vibrate a little when playing loud on certain notes more than others. All the screws are tight. Just curious if others have this issue and what they did to fix it. I'm thinking of just sticking a bunch of gorilla tape on it, or maybe on the inside, but wasn't sure if there were better products out there to get the job done.

Thanks in advance

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    It would help to pinpoint the location of the vibration by playing and have someone press on the cabinet in different places. If it is the cover, a narrow strip of tape along the lid’s inside edge where the screws attach might fix your vibration. Some companies use a thin foam weatherstripping tape on these surfaces. Often along the long top surfaces.

Of course, it could also be something loose inside the amp. Those fasteners should be checked.

C342F3FE-251D-4946-BD49-345975A990C9.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    What exactly is vibration? If you can’t identify the exact cause, how can you solve it?

I think your proposed solution is potentially insulting to gorillas and their intelligence. Filling your amp with concrete would be another such solution.

Pulverizor likes this.
  4. randallphish

randallphish

Feb 22, 2018
    It's definitely the case top. I can tap on it in various places with my finger and hear a little rattle. I tried sticking some adhesive foam pieces on it in various places on top but I don't think it was enough to do anything. I guess I'll go with taping across the lid and see if it fixes it. Maybe i'll tape on the inside so it's not noticeable

5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Run a thin strip of electrical tape on the mating surface of the lid.

6. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Put a cinder block on it.

7. randallphish

randallphish

Feb 22, 2018
    that's a good idea. So if you look above at the picture posted by beans-on-toast, you're talking about the chrome metal around the edge? i can definitely do that. appreciate it

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    There is a very thin foam tape already installed on the chassis, perhaps your amp was missed? Try 2 layers of electrical tape, that's about the same thickness as the OEM tape used (IIRC). Be careful not to damage the fan wire and connector.

9. randallphish

randallphish

Feb 22, 2018
    Just wanted to give an update here. I took the cover off (btw, be careful, the 4 screws holding the fan onto the case help make it easy to take the case off but make it annoying to put the fan back on easily). On the underside of the top, I put a piece of 3" wide black gorilla tape (probably like 3mil thick) along both edges, leaving only a strip down the middle of uncovered metal. poked holes through the screw holes with the screw drivers and then put everything back together. My only concern is that the tape peals off eventually. But holy cow, what a difference. When I tap on the top of the bass head, it's a thud instead of a metallic rattle. I only tried a little in my basement but I can tell the noise is gone. Next time I have band practice I'll know for sure.

BasturdBlaster likes this.
  10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    All you need is the tape on the area where the flanges are. 3” wide is overkill and serves no purpose. That’s why I suggested what I did.

11. randallphish

randallphish

Feb 22, 2018
    sure, you are probably right. I happened to have that tape and and I guess I could have cut it. If it becomes a problem, I'll trim it down. Thanks for the response.

agedhorse likes this.