1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender "Rumble Reinvented" combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Here at the Aebersold camps and this year the rental bass amps are all the new Fender Rumble series combos both the Rumble 40 and Rumble 100 combos. I have to say that so far, plugging straight in with a Full Circle-equipped DB, the sound coming out of these things is really, really good set flat. Plus, they are really cheap and *ridiculously* light. I can easily pickup either by the handle with my pinky. If you're in the market for a small, light, cheap amp, these definitely deserve a look.

geoffbassist and tombowlus like this.
  2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    They are pleasing to the eye as well.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I did a Quick Look review of the Rumble 200 head and Rumble 115 cab for our next issue, and I was also very impressed. I even did the same "pinky test" at NAMM! I could pick up their biggest combo (the Rumble 500, which is a 2x10 combo) with one pinky. And the kicker is, those are ceramic, not neodymium, drivers! :jawdrop:

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    If those are ceramic drivers, how did they do the weight thing? Seems like the box alone should weigh more than they do.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Fender tells me that they use lightweight 15mm meranti plywood, which must account for much of the weight savings.

6. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Recordings or it didn't happen! :)

Seriously, that's cool.

7. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Indeed, I was impressed by them too. 15 lbs maybe, and sound quite good.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's nice to see good honest gear that's affordable.

9. Played a small one (40?) at GC today, looked and sounded great.

Max George likes this.
  10. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Fender is doing amazing things here. Good sound, price, features and a 5 year transferable warranty.
    It's amazing they're able to do this at such a low price. They must be reliable.

11. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Why are they called "combos?" I'm thinking two parts like the flip-top Ampegs. The ones I was shown were light single units. Thanks.

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    My take on the term "combo" is that it refers to an amp that combines the amplifier and speaker into a single unit. My etymology instincts could be wrong on this point, though.

13. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    That's my understanding as well.

- Steve

gerry grable likes this.
  14. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Okay Chris and Steve. I was thinking the opposite, but I'm not much of an amp expert.
    I've only owned a couple of Ampeg B-15s which I always thought of as combos (combinations) and my favorite, the GK 200mb as a single unit amp. Anyway thanks to both of you for the info on the Rumbles.

Ric Vice likes this.
  15. Yup, "combo"nation amplifier and speaker cabinet . :) :)

bassfran likes this.
  16. Max George

Max George

Dec 27, 2015
    Would the Rumble 40 be enough for an upright in a generally small Bluegrass group?? It would basically just be for some projection.

17. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Works for me. There have only been a handful of combos that were great Double Bass Amps. The Acoustic Image Contra, Genz Benz Shuttle series, Galien Krueger Microbass, Phil Jones Super Flight Case. B-15N and SB-12's certianly fit the category but by todays standards they are heavy and underpowered. Just my take.

Ric

Max George likes this.
  18. Mister Boh

Mister Boh

Oct 23, 2016
    Annapolis, MD
    I was thinking of picking up a new rumble at some point. I have always liked fender amps (for both bass and guitar). That they look nice is a neat little bonus.

gerry grable likes this.
  19. jvgreene

jvgreene

Mar 11, 2014
    N. Alabama
    I played through to Rumble 40 once for an in-store and was really impressed. I'm interested in their 410 cab, anyone tried it?

Max George likes this.
  20. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    From what I've seen, most of the amp technology in these (and other newer fender amps) has come directly from the acquisition of the great Genz Benz brand. Fender absorbed the technology, then shelved Genz Benz. I guess I'm still a little miffed at how Fender screwed Genz Benz. BUT!!! Their combo amps have gotten much better!

Max George and Ric Vice like this.