1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender S1 switch

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DeliriumTremens, Aug 9, 2007.

1. has anyone else noticed it's useless on a P Bass and actually pretty cool on a Jazz? I was trying out some gear yester and they had no US series P Bass to use so I used a Jazz. The S1 switch makes it fat! I'm considering getting a US series Jazz now, it seemed very versatile

2. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah i like the switch on the jazz. I don't think it makes it sound exactly like a P but its cool in its own way. I have read a lot of people don't like the S1 switch but i think on the jazz it can really bring in a lot of low end. Never tired it on a P.

3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    East Bay, CA
    I agree--while it's great to fatten up a Jazz, why bother slimming down a Precision? Also, I'm not crazy about the actual push-switch/pot Fender uses--many of the one's I've tried on new basses in stores have been kinda dodgy. I'd probably replace it with a regular pull-pot switch.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I love the idea, I hate the execution. I'd rather have a push/pull pot rather than the push-push they use that feels so cheap.

5. I don't mind the actual feel of the switch, but on my P I dislike the sound it makes!

6. I have series/parallel wired into my DiMarzio Will Power Middle on my MIM-P. I use a radio shack mico switch and it works great.

On this pickup, the two tones are different and very usable.

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    So the S1 on the Fender P makes it thinner than without? Then why do they bother?

Good to know. I'll make sure I avoid those Ps.

8. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    You don't have to avoid them, just don't use the s-1 switch on them. They are still good basses.

FWIW, I would rather have a Highway One P then a MIA standard P.

9. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Why?

10. I agree Highway One over a MIA P. For me it's the S-1 switch, 2 I prefer a Badass Bridge II that the Highway One comes with, I also like the lacquer finish...and the price. For me the downfall of the Highway One is the lack of a maple neck option. If they came in maple necks, it'd already be in my arsenal!

Oh and yes S-1 switch very useful on a Jazz and horrendous on a P

11. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    What he said, only I don't care about the S1 switch that much, I could just not use it. I don't want a P with a maple board, so this is not an issue for me. I like the old school looking finish and I really like the upgraded bridge, though its just a bonus to me. I want an old school P, but can't afford an actual vintage one and the Highway One is closer to that IMO than a regular MIA. The MIA is still nice, just not what I'm after.

12. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have a MIA P that is my fave bass now. I never touch the S-1 though. Pointless.

I'm one of the few that is rather unimpressed with the Hwy 1 line. I haven't played any of the new ones with the Badass & all, but personally I can't stand that thin finish on there & the quality in general just feel lacking in some degree.

But that's just me...YMMV.

13. Thinkarogadum

Thinkarogadum

Jun 11, 2006
    NE OH
    My number 1 bass is a MIA Precision with the S1. About 90% of the time I don't use it. Where I have found it useful is when I play with a pick and I have a lot of bottom dialed in. If I want to play a song or two fingerstyle, I'll press the button to dial out some of the low end that I gain from using my fingers.

14. kajohns

kajohns

Apr 28, 2007
    Maryland
    I play a american P bass. I personally don't like the s1 switch. It really thins out the sound. I actually replaced the knob so I don't have to be bothered. Come on, after all it's a P bass. It has a reputation to uphold.

I haven't played a jazz with the s1 switching. I hear it's actually useful.

"Play hard - live well"