Fender Select P. Can someone tell me what is going on here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The13thFret, May 3, 2019.

1. As above

Probably a rare bird in my neck of the woods, which may be why I have not seen or noticed before. What is going on here?. Is this factory? What's the reasoning?

Fender Select.jpg

2. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    string retainer.

bobyoung53 and The13thFret like this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    An A-string retainer.
    Not just any A-string retainer, but a Stealth A-string retainer!
    [​IMG]

4. LOL! if you ask a silly question..... I didn't figgure it was a strap lock ;)

I have never seen one before. Does it do anything worth speaking of? Is it Fender factory fitted?

I could be wrong, but I think they built a few P's either side of 2012, I may have even played a few. I wasn't aware of an issue that required an A string retainer.

nilorius and jd56hawk like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Supposedly, it stops the notorious rattle with the A string.
    (Not sure how big that problem is, but...)

6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

It's there to do what a 2x2 head-stock does naturally.
    :laugh:

Bubbascuba, burgerdj, Engle and 9 others like this.
  7. Wow Google knew based on your description. I have never seen one before. I wasn't even aware I had an issue with string buzz or break angle at the nut.
    "Prevent string buzz on your bass guitar with a genuine, easy-to-install Fender Stealth Bass String Retainer. This chrome-plated retainer increases the break angle from the tuning key to the nut, providing greater tension, a more secure fit and greater stability."
    If only they came in black and didn't cost more than a set of Roto's.

Killed_by_Death and jd56hawk like this.
  8. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I think the american deluxe Fenders had them

9. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    This part is standard on American Deluxe or Elites. I put one on my American Standard... they are only marginally effective at improving the A string angle over the nut.

10. This one is on a 2012 "Select" which apparently sells for about the cost of two deluxe's in Australia. Well into Custom shop price range.

Fender Select 1.jpg

11. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Tapered posts are a better solution. Music Man, G&L and some Hipshot tuners have this feature... it ensures that the string wraps tightly to the headstock.

The vibrating A string issue is sometimes more indicative of a poorly cut nut or using a string gauge that is lighter than what the nut was cut for in the first place.

12. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Is it better buying something from Japan for bassists in Australia, or do you really get hit with import fees?

13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Do you remember the 2011 60th Anniversary P-Basses? They were a hybrid of the early P's and nicer features of later P's (such as contoured body). They originally came mainly in Blackguard Blonde with a big black pickguard. But there were about 125 made in Sunburst as a special run for Guitar Center.

Anyway, they were the first ones I was aware of that came with that particular A-string retainer. It's a great feature, and I don't know why they don't come standard on all U.S. made Fender basses. I had a Blonde one, but sold it. Later picked up one of the Sunbursts, and had a vintage tint put on the neck. You can buy the retainer, but it's about $25.00.
    IMG_0427.jpg IMG_0915.jpg IMG_0036.jpg

14. Its not the fee's so much as the tax on the value of the goods at this end. I have had hassle free experiences buying from many countries. What annoys me is resellers here adding a premium or over inflating the cost of US goods. Even given the exchange rate, pickups for example sell here through resellers at 50 to 100% above the cost in the US. Many people are scared to buy from overseas, I don't have an issue. I hear horror stories about CITES, to be honest I think the rest of the world outside the US is currently just quietly ignoring it.

murphy and jd56hawk like this.
  15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I recently passed on buying a bass from Japan because of a rosewood fretboard.
    Meanwhile, Fender recently came out with a P and a J with rosewood necks!

The13thFret likes this.
  16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    My understanding is that the stealth string retainer only works when secured down with machine heads that have a screw-down bushing... string tension would just force the 'vintage' push-in-type bushings to push up, no?

I actually bought one of these AND the proper new-style machines with the screw-in bushings, but the set of them have been sitting here for months as I now have no neck to install it into (oops...)

The13thFret likes this.
  17. I can and have bought rosewood necks from China all day long, no issue on either end apparently. Maybe if I was trying to import 50 it would raise some eyebrows somewhere.
    I would not want to endanger a species of tree, but seriously, instrument fretboards are not the issue. A hundred tons of illegally harvested rosewood bound for Chinese furniture seized in Hong Kong at Christmas?, that means there is 10 times that not seized. We are but a drop in the ocean.

18. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

I have one on my American vintage hot rod Precision bass, came stock with it, the bass is about 4 years old, nice to have although I've never needed it on any Fender I've ever owned before.

The13thFret likes this.
  19. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Correct, I bought one and put it on a Geddy Lee J, but I did some modifying and it still wasn’t great nor designed to go there.

The13thFret likes this.
  20. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    Another over-engineered / not gonna work anyway solution FMIC came up with to address the uneven downforce at the nut from the parallel peghead. Why they just don't install trapeze retainers like Sadowsky (and even some Squiers !) is just beyond me. For the life of me, it just isn't necessary to be this obtuse or ate up with the Not Invented Here-itis.