Fender should issue a Chris Squire Signature model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ric5, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Fender should issue a Chris Squire Signature model … like the one he used to own

5548694_2_l-jpg.jpg

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    He was better known for his Jazz Bass, though. I even saw him use it when I saw Yes in 2013. :)

Besides, the Tele Bass is tainted with Vincent Gallo's DNA (not his real name, BTW), who'd want to have anything to do with that? :laugh:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    This bass got separated from Chris Squire in the early 70s as part of a divorce settlement … but imagine if you will if Chris never got a Rickenbacker 4001 and he played that bass as his main bass … it does sound similar to his Rick bass tracks

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    look at this video here … about 15:40 he is playing the Fender … also before that he is playing his 60s Rickenbacker with the contact paper stuck all over it

5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Inactive

May 26, 2010
    A Squier Squire!

Cyril_YU, nbsipics, ppiluk and 29 others like this.
  6. I'd buy it.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    In my head, I'll always see Squire playing a Rickenbacker.
    YMMV, etc.

P. Aaron, Rezdog, SwitchGear and 25 others like this.
  8. If I remember correctly, this is the bass he used on Lucky Seven from Fish Out of Water.

Crazy tone.

nbsipics and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    Yeah, he's definitely indelibly attached to his 4001, but I've seen Yes live twice, and on both occasions he rocked both a Jazz and P at points during the show. As well as the triple neck!!!

JeffJ2112, woodyng2 and byoung93888 like this.

10. That was kind of a cool thing about YES shows if you were tuned into which bass he recorded songs with. You could look at the stage and kinda guess the set list from what basses were there. No triple neck? No Awaken!

Tho it wasn't an exact science , as I've seen him play Owner on the Ric, the Electra, and the Mouradian.

woodyng2, maxschrek, nixdad and 3 others like this.
  11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I still think of him as a 4001 guy. And who would sign his signature basses?

gebass6 and Wilmingtonian like this.
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
  13. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    That was his Lakland Bob Glaub with Joe Osborn neck.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dang, that was one ferocious sounding bass, at least when the late Mr. Squire played it!

15. GTHintz

GTHintz

Jan 9, 2018
    California
    If fender Squier will make a stupid Mike dirnt p bass then there is no reason why they shouldn't have a Chris Squire signature bass. They have so many artist line basses already why not one for a man who inspired a whole new way to play the instrument?

16. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    Here's Chris playing his Sig model

17. Jeff Scott

Apr 11, 2006
    I've always loved his distorted tone in that.

SwitchGear and Son of Wobble like this.
  18. Philibuster

Philibuster Supporting Member

Jimmy Page, famously associated with Les Pauls, has a signature Telecaster that will be revealed shortly. If he can get a signature Fender as a storied Gibson player, Squire can get a sig Fender as a storied Ric player.

19. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Similarly, many would have a difficult time guessing that this signature g*itar from the Gibson Custom Shop was a tribute to Robbie Krieger, who played SGs onstage with The Doors (but used a mid-fifties Les Paul for slide and studio overdubs).

custom.png

http://www.thunderroadguitars.com/2014-gibson-robby-krieger-signature-vos-black/

Tony In Philly likes this.
  20. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Boss, what's going on with the controls on this bass?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021