1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Strap

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mazinger, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Anyone here actually use those Fenders straps that come with the bass?

:bassist:

...It's Friday and I'm bored...

2. The Sailor

The Sailor

Feb 14, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Yes i used to for awhile... I though "its a totally fine strap i dont need to buy an expenseve new one" and then i tried a different dimarzio strap and ive never went back ;) hahahaha

3. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I've never used mine, but it's not off-limits. I have straplocks on all my basses, and I keep a few straps without them just in case someone comes over and forgets theirs. Happens more than I'd like to admit.
    ec686656.
    Most of my straps (I have somehow accumulated quite a collection!!) are 3" or wider, the Fender straps just aren't as comfortable.

4. The only bass I could ever use it with was a Danelectro. Way too thin for my heavy Geddy Jazz.

5. Same here, anyone know how to make a home-made strap? I've got no money and need something to do. ;)

6. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    The search button is your friend. I've seen a few on the webz. Look around, I'm sure you'll find a tutorial somewhere, maybe in a leather working forum.

7. Bassics101

Bassics101

Feb 3, 2011
    I use mine on one bass. Works fine, and I've just not taken the time to find one I like better.

8. Sleeq

Sleeq

Feb 13, 2008
    Lebanon/Kuwait
    All my straps are Fender; and yes I use the "standard" strap on my main bass :)

230385_10150579426520504_712890503_18493051_4903507_n.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    I think it works better for you, being in a blues band. I guess you kinda gotta match it to your style. A Fender strap in a metal band, kinda out of place.

I find black suede works everywhere.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I use mine at home in my home-studio on any of my guitars/basses, it's just another strap, and it's actually pretty comfy.

I don't think I'd gig with it, though, unless I absolutely needed it. Looks kinda dorky IMO ;)

11. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    No I do not,

12. Bassmunnky

Bassmunnky

Jul 3, 2004
    New York and Philadelphia
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball MusicMan Guitars
    I remember in the 70s..it was cloth and leather...got one with my Sting bass..

Yuckkk...some plasticy material that looked crumpled..I LOVE that strap..but man..do a reissue fender!

13. Not for bass, it's too skinny. I do use it regularly with my Strat, and it's quite comfortable for that.

14. I was mostly joking. :cool: I bought a new one the other day, $6 el cheapo, just the way I like em. If I had a thick linesmen type belt I could turn that into a strap! That would be perfect actually, but I bet it would cost more to get one then just buying a pre-made leather strap.

15. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    I've actually considered making my own, but by the time I bought all the necessary tools, I'd end up having to keep doing it just to make it worth the expense.

16. I read somewhere that the Fender strap is the most commonly used strap there is. That would make sense, given how many instruments they sell.

17. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA

Attached Files:

18. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    That settles it. I'm putting Dunlops on my Fender strap!!

19. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I do!

20. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida

Yep. Tele.

Thinline_IMG_1180pb-1.