Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Stu Hamm Urge II?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MingusBass, Dec 11, 2004.

1. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I was just wondering if anyone has one of these or has played one and what you all think of them. I'm wondering about the quality, sound, how they play... If anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Andrew

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Played one unplugged once. I'ts a great bass felt like a kubicki-p bass kinda.

3. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I had one and really like it. With the pickup combinations I could a really wide range of tones. However, the neck went bad and i exchanged it for a Rosco Beck 5 and never looked back.

4. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    Interesting you'd say that since Stu played Kubicki's before getting the Fender custom shop to make his Urge basses.

5. I have a UrgeI bass (32" scale) and have played a UrgeII. These are nice basses (esp if you can get a used on eon EBAY), that play extremely well, this statement comes w/ a caveat...
    I find them to be compromises of both tones and types (remember they were designed w/ stu hamm who is really a lead bassist, and the basses have that type of midrangy, cutting tone). My UrgeI is really a hybrid of J & P type tones, its not true to either but it does have very useable tones and an amazingly playable neck and feel. The UrgeII had better bottom end over the UrgeI, and similar to the UrgeI the tones aren't really a true P nor J, however they are very useful. The necks on these basses play extremely well and the bodys are downsized and lightweight. So you do loose out on some bottom end in comparison to say a fender P bass
    The preamps on both are versatile and your able to dial in some dent sounds. One the UrgeI, the pre is very electronic sounding (its a modified Kubicki pre), the UrgeII was more fender-ish. I say if you have a chance to play them, try em out. They are an interesting hybrid bass...not really P and not really J, but useful none the less.
    My opinion
    frank

6. gapupten

gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Not exactly the question asked, but I'll comment about the American Urge I. Without a doubt, the fastest neck I have ever played. The 32" scale and narrow neck, light weight bass has an almost electric quitar feel. Extremely fast. I would mirror earlier posts that Stu Hamm style would demand this type of construction. My main thought about it is that I think it tries to do too much, and except for being so fast and easy to play, is not my first choice.
    That being said, it is one of seven basses that I have an would not sell it because it is so unique.
    Although I have not played the Urge II, I would think the 34" scale would add a more conventional feel, but loose some of the speed.
    I guess my main message would be, if you want your bass to sound like a really good P or J, it is likely to be neither. But it covers a lot of ground in between.