Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender TBP-1 preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikeyvr6, Feb 28, 2006.

1. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I've been thinking about a change from my SVP-CL and the Fender looks mighty interesting. I've read through the past threads here and listened to the clips at basstasters.com. So far it seems that it will fit my needs perfectly.

For the owners of the TBP-1--how has your experience been over time with this pre? Most of the threads were posted during the "honeymoon" phase and I'd like to hear your long term opinions.

Thanks!
    Mike

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    I had one for a while and I sold it to get money for my Aguilar DB750. Still wish I didn't have to sell it. I've owned both BBE preamps and the TBP-1 and I loked the Fender the most. I was clear but very smooth and warm at the same time. Super versatile and full of great features. FX loops, semi-para mids, overdrive, 2 tubes and the great Room Balance knob (everybody should have it). I think it has a warm sound, not a smuch as my Aguilar of course but it doesn't sound sterile at all. I didn't record with it but did use the jensen DI playing live and my soundguy always loved it. I'd really say you get it if you like semi-vintage warm sound. If you like super hi-fi scooped sound and extra highs then I think you sould go for a Bmax, Demeter or SWR. The Fenders EQ is passive so it doesn't have crazy eq shaping capabilities, but IMO it is more than enough for any band setting. It has soo many features and the 2 tubes really sound great and make a real difference. I always used the OD section to get more of a warmth and it sounded real tubey. It's not a distortion or fuzz section, but works wonders for getting the right balance between clean and tubeyness.

I sold mine as I said to get the 750 which I love, but the TBP-1 is one great piece of equipment that I really regret selling. But I needed the money and I'm an Aguilar man now.

I hope this helped and sorry for the long post. Any other questions, feel free to ask.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I bought Afroman's, and I like it a lot. You can hear clips of mine up on www.basstasters.com.

Tom.

4. I tried it out for recording, but didn't spend a great deal of time with it... It wasn't the right sound for my type of music, and didn't make enough of a tone difference to justify the cash at the time.

5. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    I've had mine for approximately eight months. I have had no issues with it. It is simple to use, quite versatile and dialing in your tone is easy (once you realize the tone controls operate a little different than most). I love the sound of this preamp. :D

Note: If you happen to try one, start with the tone controls set to 2, 10 & 2 and go from there.

:)

6. Ironic - 3 amps later, I am back to this preamp with the Fender MB1200 and loving it :bassist:

7. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    SoBovril, what happened to your Fender 300 ?

8. was having problems with it on tour (getting that thing serviced in SA is a mission) and it was just too heavy, so went with the pre and power option instead. I now have a few different pre's that I use with different power amps depending on the tone and power requirements of the gig/band

actually just used this pre on a new album, after trying many bases and pre's the TBP-1 and spector euro5 LX had the right tone for the mix but I'll have to see what I end up using live... not sure if I'll use the TBP-1 for a bit of overdrive or if I'll use the VT bass which is sounding pretty good to my ear right now

9. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    wow, thanks for the answer ...
    3 years, 1 month and 7 days later... :p

:D

Always enjoy your posts... still love the clean tone of my Fender Dual Showman...

Having lived in your neck of the woods for large part of my adult life, I can just image having your 300 serviced/fixed :D

10. hehe I knew it was a bit late :) hows the scene in germany treating you?

11. I have a lead on a Trace V8 here in SA that i'm trying to get my hands on to revisit a bit of the full tube vibe :)

12. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    well, one can't get used to the weather anymore, you can just learn to bear it...
    Changing focus in my live from outdoor activities to indoors, has brought (active) music back to the fore... So, at least that must be good.
    But I miss life in southern Africa, a lot... :crying:

13. yeah the music scene here is happening but difficult as always. There are a couple of bands doing really well though. I played in Berlin a couple of years ago, was pretty cool :) as was the beer!

14. aaroen

aaroen

Mar 2, 2008
    I have a brand new one for sale 4 weeks old. 350.00 I need the money right now. bought from good and loud music in madison,wi. paid 500.00. call ron at 608-235-9190. sounds great.