1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender thru body strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rodl2005, Mar 27, 2009.

1. I'm SURE this's been asked B4 & I did do a search, but couldn't find a definative answer. So...
    Does anyone know WHAT strings FENDER ship out their MIA thru-body strung Jazz bass's with?? IIRC these strings did have a taper towards the ball end, but were NOT the exposed core type. So IF anyone can tell me 100% I can order online & be reasonably sure I'm getting the correct type.

AND.....

What strings do they ship out their R.I. type thru-bridge strung Jazz's with??
    The strings I got on my 4 string R.H. sig. Std Jazz, were the ones with the exposed core, & this exposed core passed over the saddles- IMO this gave an amazing 'ring' to the tone. One I would love to get again... I know Fender & a few other co.'s make exposed core-taperwound????- strings, but I'm not 100% sure of which to get & when U gotta order online........:(

Thanx in advance!!

Rod

2. toomanybasses

toomanybasses

Feb 20, 2009
    Fender MIA P and J Bass use the Fender 8250m String which is shipped with the bass from the factory.

I only use this string on my P-Bass so I don't know about any other type...

3. Although 8250s are specifically made for that purpose, 7250s will work on many body-thru bridges as well.

4. Ron G

Ron G

Mar 16, 2009
    Portsmouth, VA
    The Super Bass 8250's has a roundcore .045 .065 .085 .110tw (taperwound). I use them on my Fender MIM Jazz and Squire Jazz.

5. Excellent news - Thanks fellow bassists!! Funny how these strings SEEM to make the Bass sound SO good. I've tried D'addario's, Elixir, Roto's, DR & a few others, but NONE seem to sound as good on those 2 basses as the original Fender strings- WIERD!!!!! Even after the orig. strings got dull & lifeless - I put a relacement set on-diff. kind, but a type I liked-& result was good , But.... Then after I soaked the Orig. Fender strings in the metho/alcohol for 24hrs, dried for at least another 24hrs.... Put them back on the bass & .... WOW THAT GREAT sound again....????
    Anyway- you guys've given me the info I need to further this experiment. Thanks. Will post results.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Funny you should say that.
    When i got my P5 last year i liked the Fender strings it came with but quickly switched to Chromes. Partly as i was using them already on a bass i was selling so took them off that and they also seemed to help setting the action a bit lower.
    Ive been very happy with the Chromes and they do the job but yesterday i put another set of 8250's on and what a difference. I really love them.
    I think i missed the richness you get with rounds.

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    After two days the Fenders came off and i put a set of Elixirs on. Two days and one gig after that im back to Chromes.

Funny old world.

8. mattwear

mattwear

Aug 7, 2006
    Wellington, NZ
    I put a set of the newly repackaged 8250m strings without silks on my bass yesterday thinking they'd be as great sounding as the ones in the old packaging with grey silks. Unfortunately the sound was very disappointing. The new strings are thin sounding to my ears, so they're coming straight back off. So please be warned - the 8250m tapers aren't what they used to be.