1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Truss Rod Tutorial...is this a joke?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by TheIndieKid, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Since I've bought a Vintera Mustang, I've been looking for the proper, reccomended way to go about doing a truss rod adjustment. Take strings off completely? Leave them on and loosen them? Completely take off the neck? You get the idea.

I felt compelled to watch the Fender Official video since...well, it's Fender's own video with their personal guidelines. Now I won't spoil the video, but just go to 4:00, and wait for it...

Hopefully, you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm NOT in a million years doing it in that way. I find it funny that it's a video aimed at beginners, where he uses a method with which I suspect you could damage your bass. I cringed. So did the whole comment section apparently.

rollie 55, hintz, PWRL and 5 others like this.
  2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    When in doubt take it to a respected and trusted pro.

nilorius, hintz, shodan and 4 others like this.
  3. You're right, but I like to be able to do my own setups, so I don't have a lighter wallet :D

gregmon79 and TheReceder like this.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    What on earth was that?!?

5. The sound your bass makes when it gets sent to God's waiting room, I think.

Microbass, PWRL, jackn1202 and 7 others like this.
  6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I mean.... I’ve never been known to treat my basses like they are overly fragile or anything, but the neck joint is the one place where I’m going to at least pretend to show a little care.

djaxup, hintz, IamGroot and 9 others like this.
  7. Did you see the neck bend? :confused::bawl:

8. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Holy ****.

Fender should be ashamed for putting this together.

hintz, shodan, PWRL and 8 others like this.
  9. Hey, do you loosen your strings? "No, I like to wrangle it". Steady on, cowboy.

Microbass, gebass6, hintz and 8 others like this.
  10. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I don't get it?

What was so heinous about that?

How else would you suggest doing it?

Perfectly normal adjustment from the company that actually makes the bass.

Dirk

Beej, Fishheadjoe, bassrique and 15 others like this.
  11. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Seems very strange, but I don't have experience with a large number of Fender basses.

Why wouldn't you loosen the strings, give the truss rod a quarter turn up at the head stock, retune, see what you've got, repeat till done? No matter how you do it, you won't be able to tell for sure how much you've changed the neck relief till you put everything back to normal and tune up anyway. It doesn't seem to me that repeatedly loosening the neck joint can be a good idea.

rollie 55, TalHaz and TheIndieKid like this.
  12. It's not the actual adjustment. It's the way he leaned on the neck so it popped out the pocket. The crack was terrifying. Normally it just slips right out if you loosen the screws. The neck even bends quite a lot.

fhm555, hintz, MonetBass and 2 others like this.
  13. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    OK, now I see that the adjustment is down at the bottom. Can you get access to it by removing the pickguard? Whole thing looks really dubious to me.

TheIndieKid likes this.
  14. MVE

MVE

Aug 8, 2010
    Yeah....
    I would recommend de-tuning prior to loosening neck screws.

It just seems like a little ‘dab of common sense. Lol

hintz, mcnach, P-oddz and 2 others like this.
  15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    The Fender vintage truss rod access is a joke anyway.

bassrique, djaxup, eadg98005 and 19 others like this.
  16. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Indeed. It was a bit of a surprise that he didn’t first loosen the strings, then the “wrangling” of the neck up out of the pocket was cringe-worthy.

I don’t know. Fender basses are pretty tough. I’m more gentle with mine, but maybe the “Pros” man-handle them without any ill effects.

At the least, I know folks who worry about cracking the finish around the neck if you don’t pull it out of the pocket carefully. I’d think a tight pocket would end up with cracks around it using the method in the video. Cosmetic damage, maybe?

Still, I’ll stick to my method, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    hintz, Spidey2112 and TheIndieKid like this.
  17. This is madness. What you're hearing is the edges of the screws scraping the inside of the holes in the neck.

Rabidhamster, Whil57, 4dog and 3 others like this.
  18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I would expect to bend the neck screws if I did that. And NOT loosen the strings??? WHY???

Rabidhamster, dkelley and TheIndieKid like this.
  19. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    just bend it a bit, over the knee... ask a benchpushing friend to aid when there's no effect.

The alternative would involve a wood fire and a flower sprayer.

J/K. i'm glad my adjustments can be done without doing anyhing more than find out where i left the bloody allen keys.

Spidey2112, dkelley and TheIndieKid like this.
  20. Johnny StingRay

Johnny StingRay

Nov 24, 2006
    When I had my 76 fretless P Bass back in the day, my guitar tech shaped out the pickguard so the truss rod could be accessed without removing the neck or taking off the pickguard. Easy solution.
    The cracking noise and bended neck on the video gave me the "heebee jeebees" like when you watch videos of skateboarders smashing and crashing on "Ridiculousness"!!