1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Vintage Bridge vs MIM bridges

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by voodoomagicboas, Oct 28, 2013.

1. voodoomagicboas

voodoomagicboas

Apr 13, 2013
    Hey, everyone.

Just kicking around the idea of switching out the bridges on my MIM Fenders. I have an 2007 MIM P and a 2012 MIM Blacktop Jazz.

The Precision has the regular mim stock "bent tin" (is that right?) bridge that looks like this:
    www.fender.com/guitar-bass-parts/bridge-assemblies/standard-series-bass-bridge-assembly-chrome/

and the Jazz has an mim stock high mass bridge.

I'm considering replacing both of them with the vintage model:
    www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/fender-p-bass-j-bass-vintage-bridge-assembly

I know some of you have done this switch out. Are there differences as far as quality?
    Better materials?
    Better craftsmanship?

Is the design (ridges on the saddles, etc.) an improvement?

I like that it will let me lower the strings more than the high mass on the Jazz will. I was initially thinking Gotoh 201, but the string height factor has made me second guess myself. I wanted to try not to do any shimming.

Also, is this a drop in replacement?
    I know it's a 5 screw bridge which is what mine are, but are there different models to watch out for?
    I wanted to avoid screwing new holes and such.

Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance.

2. BigOkie

BigOkie

Nov 28, 2010
    Oklahoma City
    I have been thinking about replacing the bridge on my 2003 MIM Jazz. My research has found several choices that use the existing screw holes. I have a Hipshot A on my Carvin LB75 and I like it a lot. I am leaning toward that or a Babicz.

3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Yes, it is a drop in replacement. 5 screws. Should be easy.

I like the vintage bridge for two reasons...

1. it uses screws, not an allan wrench for adjusting string height. It's a lot easier to keep track of a little screwdriver than a tiny allan key.

2. I like the threaded string holders (or what ever you call them). You can kind of make a fine adjustment to your string position.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    Both links you have there are the same bridge, except the second utilizes threaded 'saddles' and slot head screws ... for the P, you can simply purchase threaded saddles and swap them out also ... generally your 5 hole mount Fender bridges are all interchangable ... the Squier high mass bridges, use a slightly wider bolt patter, but also 5 holes

5. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    This is a reprint of my post from here (plus there is additional info in that thread):

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f18/fender-vintage-bridge-question-721626/

I have some numbers on a few different bridges.

These are a MIM jazz bridge, MIM precision bridge, vintage type single groove Fender, and vintage type threaded Fender.
    The MIM are on recent manufacture MIM basses and the Fenders are recent manufacture Fender replacement parts.

There are no mounting or overall dimension differences that I can see. All the plates are steel.
    The main differences between the Fender parts and MIM bridges are the gauge of the plate
    and the material of the saddles.

The Fender single groove and threaded saddle bridge plates measure about .065" and .060" respectively.
    The saddles are steel.

The MIM jazz and MIM precision bridge plates both measure about .085".
    The saddles are nonmagnetic (i would guess brass).

These were all measured at the tail of the bridge where the strings are anchored.

Also, the MIM intonation screws are smaller diameter: 3mm (I believe), Fender are 6-32.

Both of those MIM bridges are heavier than the American Fender; don't know if that's typical,
    or intentional.

The thinner American Fenders are by no means weak.

-

6. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    I have two different types of fender vintage bridges, and one of them(with steel barrel saddles) has 1mm thick baseplate, and the other with threaded saddles has 2mm baseplate. Interesting, never noticed it before.