Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender vs. Ibanez

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldgreyOlds, Jul 15, 2005.

1. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    Well, Ive had my Ibanez GSR 205 (base model soundgear, made in taiwan.) for about 3 years now. 5 string, passive pickups. Ive had no real complaints with it, besided having to replace all the machine heads. But after playing a friends Fender, I decided I wanted to go back to Fenders. So looking at the Fender Standard Jazz basses at the local shop, I run across a Fender American Delux FMT (flame maple top) selling for under 800 bucks CDN. Great deal, since the list price is about a grand US. Besides not being able to figure out all the knobs in the store, I really liked the bass. Its got a 3 band eq, fader and volume pots, samarium cobalt pickups, and a whole bunch of other nice hardware features. Its MIA, so the quality is obvously there, and, what caught my eye, looks freakin amazing. So my question is, is the American Delux FMT worth the 100-200 dollars more than the Standard J bass? Or is the Ibanez good enough?

2. Yes it's worth it...get the MIA Deluxe FMT...and get it NOW!

You can't even LOOK at one of those here in Australia for under $2200 AU.

3. I like both brands so well that I play them both....
    an Ibanez SR405 (5 string)...

a Fender Jazz Deluxe and a Fender Precision "Lyte" (both 4 strings).....

It'd be very hard for me to choose one over the other....

And yes....get the MIA FMT.

4. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    well, I can only get about 200 bucks for the Ibanez on trade in. Maybe I should keep it and play both. The Ibanez is a 5, so I could justify it that way. :D

5. Absolutely! I would definately keep the Ibanez and play both.

QUOTE=oldgreyOlds]well, I can only get about 200 bucks for the Ibanez on trade in. Maybe I should keep it and play both. The Ibanez is a 5, so I could justify it that way. :D[/QUOTE]

6. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    well, there goes the money for the Sansamp I was gonna get. can anyone recommend a DI for... lets see... 10 bucks? Wait.. I need that for lunch. :rolleyes:

7. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Sounds like you found a good one for a nice deal. If you've played it and liked it, then go for it. From my experience, the MIwhatever doesn't guarantee anything when it comes to Fenders, you've got to play them to see. And surely keep the Ibanez, you'll want that 5er with whatever 4 you get.

8. oldgreyOlds

oldgreyOlds

May 12, 2005
    Delta, BC
    I was back at the store the other day and looked at it closer. Its actually made in korea or something like that. but its got seymour duncan pups and a bunch of other great parts, and apperently a lot of guys coming into the store have thought about trading their MIMs for it. So I got it put away till my next paycheque.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ya done the right thing. Have fun with it when you get it!