Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender vs. Lakland

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by EricF, Mar 1, 2006.

1. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've been GASsing for a Fender P AV62, but for about the same price (new), I could get a Lakland Glaub or Dunn Skyline. I'm very much a Fender guy, but tend to end up putting Fralin pups in my instruments - they're stock in the Lakland. I've heard great things about both instruments. Opinions?

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Fenders are standard basen on theiur history and good sound. Laklands IMO ar ebetter in every way. My $700 Lakland 55-01 put $2000 basses to shame. I think and I've read and heard that Lkaland are better constructed and better sounding. I cna just sya to try both if oyu can. And do a search here in TB and you'll find great info on both brands. Personally i'd recommend the Glaub, if you already like the Fralins you can't go wrong. I'm soon to get a Skyline DJ4 and want a Skyline Glaub too. The Skyline quality is unreal. You really wouldn't beleive they are that inexpensive if nobosy told you.

Try both brands if you can. Fender is the standard sound for a reason, they are very good, but their construction os hit and miss. Laklands are more consistent. Of course everything is mi opinion. Feel free to disagree.

Peace..

3. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I'd rather own a Lakland. I've never seen the big deal with Fenders as they are right now.

4. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    +1

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    +2

6. The Lakeland will have far more solid construction, and higher end pickups and electronics for the money you pay. I don't personally own one, but have played on them and heard them recorded, and can defiantely attest to the sound and feel of Lakeland basses. You can find a really nice Fender if you look hard enough, but you'll get just as nice, or most likely a better Lakeland with almost any one you play on.

7. albass111

albass111 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've got 4 fenders, a Lakland and a Sadowsky. I love all of my basses, but for the $$$ the Skylines are pretty incredible. There's something great about a vintage P if you can find a good one though, and if your back can take it.
    If you're looking at new basses, I'd take a Dunn bass over every fender P except for a custom shop. MHO and $.02 only. Skylines go through a rigourous inspection before they head out and Fenders are just so inconsistant.

8. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'm a Pbass addict (both Skylines and Fenders). I love Glaubs and would typically prefer them over a standard Fender simply for the great fretwork. But as nice as Sykylines are, the RI Fenders are very good and are consistenly lighter than a Skyline. That would be a tough decision but I would probably opt for the 62 RI in this case.

9. I personally would go with fender because of the original looks and feel.. plus the tone will always be that fender tone..

I like laklands but I would take a fender rather then a lakland..

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I actually found in practice,that Laklands are better at getting that Fender tone you hear on recordings, than virtually all the Fenders I've tried! ;)

11. I have a Skyline 44-02. It´s a super bass. You have to pay twice as much if you wan´t a Fender that is in the same league. There are MANY good fenders out there, but if the Skyline fits your needs, you can´t go wrong!!!

12. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    I just ordered a lakland duck dunn yesterday!i already have a glaub and a jazz,the suits at fender can only wonder in amazement at how it use to be!!the boys in t-shirts & jeans at lakland are doing it everyday:p

Larry

13. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd go with the lakland, I think they are awesome basses and beautifly constructed as well.

14. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    What exactly is the Lakland Duck Dunn? I'm sure it's a P-bass of some sort, but what sets it apart from a Bob Glaub? I can't find it on Lakland's website.

EDIT: Nevermind. Looks Sweet, though!

15. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I prefer Fender's vintage fingerboard radius of 7.25" over Lakland's 10" radius. I also prefer the classic looks of the Fender. But for the money, I'd go with a Japanese Fender '62 Precision, mine's as good as any MIA I've ever played at less than half the cost of the AV62RI.

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The new Skyline Dunn is nothing more than a Glaub in CAR with a Rosewood and pearl block inlayed fretboard with a 1.5" neck width. It looks pretty nice.

17. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    If you're comparing the American Vintage series against the Skylines, I'm imagining you like the vintage details--nitro finish, neck profile, fretboard radius, etc. If that is the case, I would go with the Fender AV. Skylines are very nice, but IMO the Fender AVs feel much better.

The only thing that would make me think about it is if you really know you're going to replace the pups with the Fralins anyway.... Nah, I'd still go with the Fender.

18. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    For little more than the price of an AV Fender plus Fralins you could get a nice second hand US Lakland. This would be my choice, especially a Bob Glaub for that 60's P sound. Also, Laklands have the through body option which, IMHO, really enhances the sound of these basses.

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I own both Fender and Lakland basses.
    My 1966 fender is just the best P-bass I've ever owned.
    But my Lakland Glaub is almost just as good.
    For a new bass, it nails the vintage sound and feel.
    Plus, I dig the fralin pickups, and lakland bridge.
    Considering, my 1966 is valued at around $5500.00.
    The Lakland is a great deal.

20. +1 on the Skylines... just amazing fit and finish, playability, sound, general quality, and all for a reasonable price point.