Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fer anyone who cares....

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Just want to journalize this here, and I guess put the word out.

The recording of our 3rd, tentatively self titled CD is well under way. We've laid down all the rhythm tracks, a good deal of vocals, and we've completed one song. I'm contemplating posting it, but my gut is telling me to wait till the CD is complete.

I am ectstatic about the way things are going. The guy producing it (Bumblefoot - www.bumblefoot.com ) is an absolute genius, and an uncomonly nice guy. He worked out a great, affordable deal with us, and he's totally commited to the project. We're putting in 12 hour days, most of that time being his making sure things are the absolute best they can be - and it's great that we can tell he's not in this for the money, but to help create the best possible work of art that he can (given what we give him). There's something that really does my heart well when you know someone is doing something more for the love of doing it (and doing it well) than for the money.

Anyhow, I could write lots of details about this particular recording experience, but it may get boring. What I do want to write is what I feel I feel I learned this time around. I realized on the way home from his studio (which is an entire house, by the way) that I've spent hoards of money in the past trying to do the impossible. The Nerve! has always been known for our live shows. We've got lots of energy, and we tend to go over really well. Our CDs have never however quite captured our energy. They were tight, some had a live feel to them, but I really think they were lacking. What I learned. We were, in the past, trying desperately to catch the "live" feel. We played the songs as we would live, and refused to do anything we couldn't reproduce in a live situation. No fancy effects or production, no 2nd guitars we couldn't pull off, etc., etc. Guess what. Doh! It didn't work. I realized while listening to some Zeppelin CDs that those guys probably couldn't reproduce about 75% of what they had recorded, live. BUT, they were able to pull it off anyhow. We CAN pull off all our songs live, we do it all the time. We decided finally to look at the studio an entirely different way. It's a different medium and this time we're treating it as such. Cost a lot of time and money for us to learn that, but I'm glad I finally did. We're not shying away from 2nd guitar parts, studio tricks, effects - icing on the cake as one might say. We're approaching this CD with a totally open mind, and it seems to be working out rather well. We're being super careful not to go over board - and, well, you get the picture. I can't wait to see and hear how the rest of the CD evolves (17+ songs). It's hands down going to be the best thing we've ever recorded. I'm psyched. I'm done. Just felt like sharing all that. Hope it may help or inspire someone.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Cool. I'm glad you decided to share that with us Joe. I wish you a lot of success and fortune with this album.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Dude! Bumblefoot rules! I've got one of his CDs; back when he was going by Ron Thal. He's an amazing guitarist, and a very sick puppy. He should do well producing you guys.

4. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Yes. Ron is the man, and we're letting him totally have his way with us this time. He also worked with us on our 2nd CD, but we wouldn't give up much of the control at that time. We're glad, as I said, that we're doing things differently now.

What CD of his do you have?

5. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I have The Adventures of Bumblefoot. It's WAY shred, and fun to listen to. I've been meaning to pick up some more of his stuff, but for some reason I keep forgetting about it when I am CD shopping (a common problem). I understand that this CD is out of print, and is fetching big bucks on ebay. You can tell it's recorded on a small budget, but it's very well done considering the constraints.

Could you do me a favor? There's a poem after a song called Fistulous Withers on that CD. I'd really like to know the words. Could you ask him for me?

6. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thats cool Joe... I'm recording a CD this summer with my band as well, but I fear the hours of tedious work that I've been told will be involved. (At least I'm doing it for free :hyper: ) Best of luck to you, if the CD makes its way up to Canada, I will pick up a copy. :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Benjamin - I passed along your request, here is the response:

----------------------------------------------------
    If he means the poem made of musical notes, it's a big fat secret.

If he means the little weird song...

SHELL ON THE SAND

The Earth is a giant fish tomb
    Can you smell the toxic fish fumes?
    Just when I think the world is doomed
    I find a shell on the sand

There will be no fishing today
    At the beach I step in decay
    Why am I barefoot anyway?
    There's a shell on the sand

Will you go swimming with me
    Where the waters are green
    Thanks for the fine debris
    What a flavor it has

I don't care about the ozone
    Off to the fish market I go
    There's a sale on the ones that *glow*
    I think I'll stick with fish from a can
    ----------------------------------------------------

hope that's what your were looking for.
    BG - the tedious work is mostly the engineer/producers job. ron is going way beyond the normal call of duty for this CD, i think it's just part of who he is. the recording process is fun. enjoy it, and especially enjoy the fact that you're doing it for free. relieves a lot of the stress.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Heh. I knew that; I was just curious as to how he would react when you asked him. It's obvious that it's a joke, and I thought it would be fun to put you on the spot a little bit. Heehee!

9. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    can i download some stuff from the nerve anywhere joe?

10. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    You can go to our website (listed below) and on the Music/Merch page - there's 2 songs you can download. They're demo versions of songs that are going on the CD we're doing now. We just completed a new version of Happy but I've decided not to post anything new till it's all done.

One day soon I'm going to post a couple of songs from our last CD "All We Want is Fun" - we're pretty happy with that recording also.

11. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    'we kicked everyones ass, now aren't you happy?' :) haha.
    Sounds great joe. Cool bassline in Resistance.