SOLD Fernandes APB 4 String MIJ - Free Shipping

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Low Main, Aug 4, 2022.

1. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States

SOLD

Early 2000's 34" scale Fernandes FRB in very clean shape overall. These are well crafted, higher end MIJ builds for Fernandes, with a nod to the CR Spectors. The bridge is one of several high quality variations they used during that time period, but it may be the only one that has a quick release tail for easy string changes. It adjusted very nicely during set up.

Great wood selection throughout: 3 piece quartersawn maple neck shaft, two piece swamp ash body. Nice and light at 8 1/4 pounds.

Minor pitting on tail of bridge, two tiny dings on edge of body near output jack (probably from being placed on a stand), light swirling on the body finish in a few places.

The bass has never been slapped, so the frets and pickup covers are all good.

Bench work recently completed includes: rewire blend pot for proper pickup orientation, clean out factory debris from truss rod nut cavity and service truss rod nut, remove old hardened black foam pickup spacer supports and replace with surgical tubing spacer supports.

The bass has active pickups as well as active electronics. Controls are: Master Volume, Blend, Bass, Treble. Effects pedals are very responsive to the signal it puts out.

Set up with fairly low action. Ships well packed in a new economy gig bag.

$550.00 with free shipping to CONUS addresses only.

IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1087.JPG IMG_1090.JPG IMG_1089.JPG IMG_1081.JPG IMG_1093.JPG IMG_1084.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  2. warmendo

warmendo

Sep 3, 2021
    Where in MA are you? Would you be interested in a meetup?

3. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Thank you for your interest. PM sent.

4. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    No sale last night (Thursday). The guy who posted and wanted to buy was not legitimate. The mods banned him and deleted his posts. The bass is still for sale.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    booch29, mb94952 and JRN like this.
  5. Blackbird

Blackbird Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Are you sure about that? Fernandes came out with this design in the 80s, when Spector was still owned by Kramer and manufactured in Korea.

I believe the design was inspired on the Tune Bass Maniac and other Japanese basses from that era. Nice bass either way, GLWTS.

Lo-E likes this.
  6. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I haven't spent a lot of time digging into the Fernandes chronology, as it is not easy to trace.

Haven't found a definitive source of info on Fernandes. Maybe there's one for the guitars, but I haven't seen one for basses.

When I referenced Spector, I wasn't thinking about the body shape but mainly thinking of details like the active P/J pickups and 2 band EQ scheme, the gold hardware and the deep green color, which is more vivid in person than in the photos.

I always liked Spector's trans finish color choices, and the finish on this bass is in that ballpark.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
  7. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The green Fernandes hanging out in the finishing room with some Spector pals.

IMG_1099.JPG IMG_1103.JPG IMG_1105.JPG

mb94952, eff-clef, Rudyboy98 and 4 others like this.
  8. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I have a 90s(?)-ish one. It has the best neck of any four string bass I have ever played at any price point.

JRN and Rudyboy98 like this.
  9. Rudyboy98

Rudyboy98

Jan 25, 2008
    South Bay, CA
    Nice bass. I have a 1999 Gravity all natural 5 string version of this bass. GLWTS!

10. Cutter8

Cutter8 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Great deal! I’ve owned three of these and they punch far above their weight class. :thumbsup:

mb94952, FilCo, Lo-E and 1 other person like this.
  11. JRN

JRN Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2010
    CO 80443
    Yes Sir, I have two of them and agree, absolutely a good deal here.

mb94952 and Lo-E like this.
  12. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Tried to get a photo of the dings on the tail edge of the body. You can see one of them, the second one is to the left of it.
    I'll keep trying in daylight, see if I can get both of them to show up.

IMG_1095.JPG

13. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    None more green.

Lo-E likes this.
  14. krimo

krimo

Oct 1, 2015
    Lakewood, Ca.
    Nice! :drool:

15. krimo

krimo

Oct 1, 2015
    Lakewood, Ca.
    String spacing?

16. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Speaking of numbers, what's the width at the nut and the weight please.

17. Low Main

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    The string spacing is 19mm

Weight is 8 1/4 pounds

The nut width is 1 9/16"

Neck width at 24th fret is 2 7/16"

When I got the bass, the nut slots were a bit high and were lowered as needed.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2022
  18. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

I HARDLY call that a ding, and who cares. Not me. These are like USA Peaveys ; TOTAL gem under the radar.

19. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Inactive Suspended Supporting Member

There it is ! My favorite saying on Talkbass. It's SO true.

20. Tompsy

Tompsy

Dec 21, 2021
    Brooklyn, New York
    That is one heck of an endorsement!

eff-clef, mb94952 and Obese Chess like this.