1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Few questions from a beginner

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr MacLean, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Dr MacLean

Dr MacLean

Aug 9, 2012
    Hi, I'm a drummer that's looking to get into playing bass. I've been looking at the Epiphone LP Special Bass on Muscians friend and I think it's the one I'll be buying.

I love the tone from Paul McCartney's Ric 4001 so what would be the most important things that would bring me close to that sound? (strings, amp etc.) And on the subject of amps what would be a good one for around 100$? It'll mainly be for practice with electric guitars and amplified acoustics so it won't need to be competing with drums (it'll take me a while to master drumming and playing bass at the same time ;))

Thanks in advance for any advice, hopefully this'll be my first post of many here.

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    You won't get a ric tone from a lp bass. Amp below 100 is very hard to choose, I would go with hartke a series, warwick BC, or gk Mb line, see used classified for more choices. Btw the most important thing to get a ric sound is a ric itself, a ric is that unique of a sound that no bass can replicate it.

3. Dr MacLean

Dr MacLean

Aug 9, 2012
    I don't expect to get the exact sound of a Rickenbacker from a 300$ bass, I was more asking what strings etc. would bring me close to that sound. I think McCartney used flatwounds on his Ric? That might have only been the Hofner though.

4. Maybe you could find a good deal on a Peavey T-40. Those are known for giving a pretty good imitation of the Ric tone. If you're lucky you could probably find one for 350-450 dollars.

5. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    If you can try a Danelectro Longhorn. I am not the only one to think it very Ric like. With rounds it was the Yes tone and I put Chromes on it. This is where you would want to be..if the Rotosound nylon tape wounds would fit the nut slots you would be very close to you sound, and cheaply.

6. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    What exactly draws you to the LP bass? If you aren't completely set on it then I'd explore other options like the Longhorn. I've never played one myself, but I've also heard it can get Rickenbacker-esque tones.

For an amp, I'd see what you can find in the TB classifieds. It sounds like you don't really need too much power, which is good because you aren't going to get very much for $100.

As for playing bass while drumming, don't knock it 'til you try it! I entered a college talent show as a one-man band doing "Hotel California". Played bass, drums, and sang. Sadly lost to a guy playing a strobing light-up violin... I guess I should've known that a panel of frat star judges would go for literal flash as opposed to musical flash.

7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I hear flatwound on hey bulldog and he seems to be doing palm muting a lot

8. I 200% recommend the Danelectro Longhorn as someone else mentioned.

That was my first bass I purchased with my own money an is the closest thing to a Ric I own tone-wise.

I LOVE it and wouldn't trade it for the world. I am a Dano-Man tried and true ever since buying that bad boy.

9. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    As a noob, I'd suggest you go try a bunch of basses and see what seems to appeal to you. My advice for a beginner would be to try to stick to something "standard" to start out like a Fender or Ibanez, but if you see something you really like, that is an important factor.

Like everybody here I LOVE a Dano Longhorn. But I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a first bass. It's just a bit too weird and too non-standard. but if you love the sound (we all do) then do it.

As for amps, don't be sucked in by the low power "practice amp" thing. Bass needs POWER. My "practice" amp is a 75 watt Laney combo. And works pretty well for the quiet small venue thing as well. You know guitarists never turn down! Look used to save money and don't under-power yourself.

Since I also play drums I can say drumming and playing bass doesn't work so well! Basically you only get to use your feet. (hat and kick and on my kit that also includes double bass pedal, a second hat with "spokes" and a cowbell on a pedal) However, what I want to experiment with is the "porch board" thing on steroids. A "porch board" is an electronic "pedal" you stomp on to give a "thump". They are sort of popular now. My idea is to make a larger one with a row of "pedals" (actually piezo sensors) That I can feed to my DM5 edrum unit. This would give an array of drum and percussion sounds available with your feet. Could be cool. Who knows? ...and oh yeah, You get to sing too!

10. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Apr 26, 2012
    Belgium
    That's hilarious :)

11. The Sailor

The Sailor

Feb 14, 2012
    Nor Cal
    I agree all the way. My first bass was my dano longhorn, an i still have it. It gets a killer tone that cuts through very nice. Nowadays i have "better" basses but i always find myself coming back to it. Another great thing about them, (beside tone obviously) they are very light and the short scale is easy to learn on. Since theyre hollowbodies, when i first learned i could still play pretty loud not plugged in, so it gave me more time to save up for a better amp and i advice you to do the same. Lastly, the gretest thing of all is, despite the amazing price they arent a labeled begginer only instrument, so you dont have to ever feel "embarrased" about playing one even after you get good. I really recommend it. Besides, the horns pull bitches at gigs ;)