Fickle Spector Neck.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groveofbass, May 6, 2005.

1. Do spectors have a reputation for having fickle necks? Every other time I pick up my bass, the action is too low to the point it that buzzes. Whereas other times it's fine. Whats the deal?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've owned two, and they've been freakin' rocks.
  3. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    That's one of the main reasons I love my Spectors. The necks never move on me, and I play with pretty low action. I've had this problem with other basses (Geddy Lee Jazz for example). You may want to have a pro look at it.
  4. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Sounds to me like maybe your Spector is dealing with some pretty major temperature changes?
  5. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    I never had any problems with my Spector. I owned it for a couple of years and only had to adjust the neck once when I changed string gauges. However, a friend of mine had a spector with neck issues, it bowed to the side. It was a Korean model, so it was no great loss.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Which Spector model do you have? If you have one with graphite bars inlaid in the neck, you might find less susceptibility to environmental issues.

I have a US model with graphite inlaid in the neck, and the past month has seen temperature changes go from 80 degrees to 30 one week, then a few weeks later go from a low of 30 to a high of 80. The neck experienced a *very* minor shift, one that I'm not sure a quick tweak of the truss-rod is worth pulling out my toolkit for. ;)
  7. That sounds like a very likely reason. I have the Euro bolt on, and I have not once touched the bridge or neck since i set it up when I first got it.

Then I used to have a Czech neck-through model that I think you could have run over it with a UPS truck and itd still be fine. That thing was a freakin' beast.
  8. Mine is the Czech neckthrough. The neck is fine now. i guess it must have just been the the weather.
  9. Eh? My MIK Spector is a beast.
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1...x2!!!! :D
  11. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    I've noticed that mine need very small neck adjustments between the seasons. It's very hot and dry here in the summer and very humid and cold in the winter. But, nothing drastic. Those Euro neck-through's are tanks.