1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Figured walnut tops

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diego, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Dear TB community,

I will be starting a custom bass project soon and would really appreciate if you could suggest and/or post pics of your favorite figured walnut tops. This will help me in making my choice of top for my project. Thank you very much...and keep those pics rolling! :)

Diego

2. My Benavente with flame/crotch walnut top:
    th_SteveBene.
    th_BeneBody.
    Alder back:
    th_BenaventeSCDback.

3. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    PICT0191.

front.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm interested. I plan also to get a warmoth with walnut top (not figured though).

What body wood are you planning to have the walnut laminated on?

5. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    My original plans are for a black walnut body with a walnut top and a maple/purpleheart accent pinstripe. I have not decided fully if to go with walnut or redwood for the top...

Diego

6. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    Hoyt fretless 5 - Claro Walnut front and back, mahogany core.
    Great tone!

Attached Files:

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'd be cautious of getting the entire body in walnut. Supposed to be quite heavy.

That's why I'm interested in what body woods people are using with walnut tops. That Hoyt fretless 5 body looks very appealing!

8. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, this thought was brought up several times when I was trying to decide the wood combo for the bass. We settled on walnut because Gard (yes, it will be a Roscoe) suggested this as the most appropriate option for the tone I'm looking for. Then the question of the top arose...what to use? We thought about redwood because of weight issues, but we also acknowledged that a nice figured walnut top may work quite well too. You can follow up the discussion here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=343253

Thank you so very much for your input!

Diego

9. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    It depends on the size of the body and the piece of walnut. I have two solid walnut basses that are fairly light, but the bodies are also fairly small. They definitely feel *dense*.

10. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Similar to the Hoyt above, I went with a walnut top and back on a Spanish Cedar core.
    the walnut is beautiful as well as durable.
    The spanish cedar was recommended by the builder for it's combination of tone quality and light weight. The bass weighs 8.25 pounds.
    I could not be happier.

here's a shot of the back.
    back.

Chad

11. not mine but...
    je1sm.

sorry for small pic

12. ps thats got an alder body

13. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    The Hoyt mahogany core is also chambered (to the best of my knowledge, I bought it second hand). It's tuned E - C, and has a piezo p'up under the bridge saddle.

I have a Roscoe LG3000, also. I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Roscoe. As soon as I hit the FLA Lotto tonight, I'm calling Gard to look into a LG Fiver!.
    :cool:

Jim

14. I have a bass with a walnut body and neck that doesn't seem much heavier than my alder/maple bass. I have heard the claro walnut is normally very dense, though. Mine is not claro walnut.

If you want the tone of walnut but not the weight, I have seen a few companies offer the center block of the body to be walnut with another lighter tonewood for the wings.

15. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Here is the top on my Carvin Icon. The photo does not do it justice! In real life it is almost like a flame maple top.

[​IMG]

16. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

May 10, 2005
    NH
    Builder: ThorBass
    Not a bass :bag:

But pretty nice...

l_bba6fabca568d7477c79f684f111baed.

17. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The Q5 I used to own.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

18. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    My LeCompte Six String Custom: claro crotch walnut top

nm-lec6-11.

19. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    Probably wont be able to find one like this as it is a real freak of nature but it is very cool