1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Files/Rasps/special tool"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Greenman, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    All my metal files, wood rasps, needle files are all old and worn out. I do take care of them but I've had some of them +15 years or so.
    I'm going to dump a gob of money to renew my stock.
    What do you folks use? Any special tools you have designed or use for specific tasks?

Thanks

2. D. J. Baines

D. J. Baines

Jan 17, 2006
    one vote for Microplane rasps.

3. Regarding your files and rasps, if you haven't already done so, you can refurbish them. Putting them in solution of citric acid and water for a while will do it. I've heard brass also works. But the citric acid will put an edge on them again and you can do this a few times to extend their usefulness.

4. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Not sure how much you want to spend but Grobet make some excellent files.
    Particularly files for the professional jeweler.

5. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
  6. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Can't find any pricing. Nice stuff and they have a dealer close to me.:)

7. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Good quality chinese hand forged rasps are exellent!

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i recently bought my first microplane. holy crap, these things are awesome.

so i guess thats a +1 for microplanes. :)

9. make that 2. I use my half round and flat microplanes to shape necks and contour bodies. I would NOT work without them.

10. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Yep Microplane rasps rule, and if you ever need to do some delicate cheese shredding they work great for that too. LOL
    Just joking, I have another one for cheese. :)
    Dirk

11. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    how well do they hold their sharpness, and how often do you replace you 'blades'? Do yu see a significant difference in sharpness loss when using different woods?

all the best,

R

12. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I'm on my 3rd bass with the one I got and it's still like new, and it has worked Zebra, Maple, Wenge and Purpleheart, well Mahogony too but that hardly counts as any workout.
    For the price when mine gets dull I just go get a new one.
    Dirk

13. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
  14. I use both actually. I use the halfround and flat of the type that has the handle on both sides and a full round of the type that has the handle on the end. They're cheap enough to get all 3.

15. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

I keep passing them up whenever I go to my Woodcraft store...no particular reason fo doing so, just a bad habit I guess. I'll have to pick some up next time.

16. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    on the DIY channel there is a show called "Handmade Music" or something like that. i watched a guy wail on a piece of wood with one of the larger micro-planes. he was shaping a banjo neck like it was nothing. so i had to pick one up.

17. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I love my yellow handled surform I got at Sears! And the cabinet scrapers as well.

I'd like to try out the IBEX finger planes too, for shaping tops and whatever else. ANyone have experience with these at all? Is Ibex a good quality ? Recommend a good size to start with? I'd like to try making my own from wood too, at some point.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5808

18. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i bought one of the yellow Surforms too. that thing is fun and easy.

has anyone tried the MicroPlane rotary shaper with follower? i am wondering how fine of a finish it leaves compared to the Robosander. if they are long enough to edge a guitar body then i would definitely try one for the price.

i just got my hands on a scraper and learned how to put the burr on it.
    i didnt know what i was missing! :D

i think i am getting addicted to planes, chisels, and sharp objects in general.

19. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  20. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    just my view on rasps:

they used to scare me like none other cuz they're so friggin pointy, but then i tried to sand down the curves on my bass with a file, and it wasn't really working so i took a rasp to it. i did 100 minutes of file work in 3 minutes with a rasp. aka they're pretty sweet.