1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fillin' (not Feelin') The Groove

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Giacomo, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Can I save some bucks and not have to go back to the luthier? He removed the Obligatos and put on Lenzners Guts with the wrapped A & E. He widened some or all of the string notches in the bridge to fit the Lenzners.

Now I have put on a full set of Eurosonic UltraLights (beginning to like them more and more as they play in) and find that all four strings sit in the bridge notches a little deeper than 1/3, which I understand to be the ideal. The A string especially appears to be at least 1/2 recessed in the slot, and if I pizz the open A hard at the end of the fingerboard, I can get an unpleasant boing, which disappears if I pizz halfway up the fingerboard.

I understand from reading here that tone and volume can be affected by grooves that are too big. So my question is, how do I go back? I can't imagine any filler that could stand the pressure, and I have thought that the solution is to have the luthier sand the bridge down and renotch. Maybe someone with more experiece than I could "fill" me in. Thanks.

2. well, I got the answer at rockabillybass.com. Anyone interested, let me know.