Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filling Pores

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Mar 24, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Well I got the Tru-oil to finish my maple neck and in the instruction manual it mentions "filling the Pores" Im not exactly sure on what this means or what the pores acctually are. Can anyone clarify this for me?

2. Some woods like ash, mahogany, walnut, and many others have grain with very small openings running through them. These are the "pores", they carry the tree's nourishment from the soil up the trunk. When finishing these woods, it's necessary to fill these little open tubes before the top coats or they will soak up the finish and create divots and craters. Maple has these pores too but they are very fine and densely packed so you don't need filler. TruOil can be used as a filler but it takes some patience. It's got a great organic look to it when it's used this way. With the maple, you'll just start wiping on the oil for a few coats and then let it tack up before wiping it dry.