Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Filters again...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Dec 22, 2005.

1. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Hi!
    Finaly I decided to repace my mini q-tron with a better filter. My options are emma, moogerfooger and mu-tron III+. Any opinions? Which one is better? Thanks.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Why are those your options? Is it that a local store just has those three, or you read reviews of those three and decided they had the best reviews, or what?

FWIW, I think the Ibanez AF9 spanks all three of those, and I also like the EBS BassIQ.

Of the three you list, the Emma looks the coolest but has kind of a weak sound IMO. The Moog and the Mutron are good, but too large on the pedalboard, and both of them are resting on the legacy of better-built and better-sounding products made in the 70s.

3. I bought the Emma for playing Guitar, then when I switched to bass -- it wasn't strong enough for me... I wanted the FUNK, and it didn't have it. So, I bought a really expensive Chunk Systems '00' Funk... it has the FUNK.

Never used it at the gigs, never could find a spot to turn it on.... and now, back to the Emma. It works better for me... smoother & more musical. The Chunk is a beast to control, but once you get it -- it will do anything at any volume.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Anybody have any experience/recommendations for the Maxon AF-9, since the Ibanez is no longer made?

5. I own the following...

EBS BassIQ
    Maxon AF-9
    Robotalk (not the newer bass version)
    Maestro Filter/Sample & Hold (same as Robotalk)
    Boss SYB-3
    Akai Deep Impact
    Lovetone Meatball
    DOD FX25B
    Studio Electronics ModMax Envelope Phaser
    Electro Harmonix Bass Micro-Synth
    Electro Harmonix PolyPhase

...and, they are all totally cool in their own right.

But, the one I choose to gig with is the EBS BassIQ, with the internal trimmer set 100% wet. It's simple and easy to dial in the sounds I need, it sounds great... real nice, wet, funky sound, feel, it's small, compact and it's built like a friggin' brick. :cool:

Others I'd still like to check out include the Emma Discombob., MXR M-188, and the Korg G5.

~ Charlie

6. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    The Moogerfooger wins in terms of modularity ;P

7. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Yeah,

people have said that the EMMA went off the market for a short time while the changed it a little bit, some people who have used them say they are a bit weak in the bottom end but my new one is fat IMO...

The Maxon/Ibanez AF9 is watery and cool.

i didn't like the Mutron III+ reissue...

the EBS bassIQ is cool but a little less transparent...

my 2 cents...

also the moogerfooger is rad but, doesn't have a down mode for the filter, and also has one of the worst bypasses of any effect, you'll wanna use a loooper.

8. S Lewis

S Lewis

May 23, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    i want a filter that has almost no sweep to it at all...kinda like a keyboard sound, ya know?

where could i find such a thing?

9. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    do you mean something like this? probably not but what the hey!

"QZ1 CRYBABY® Q ZONE
    Many guitarists use our Crybaby pedals in stationary positions, to get a quickly selectable nasal, vocal or flange-like tone. The Q Zone stomp box performs this job even better than a pedal, because it's less susceptible to accidental bumps. Features the same tone controls as the 95Q pedal, but with "stay-put" knobs to keep your settings stable.

Features: Footswitch toggles the effect from on to bypass (red LED indicates on). Adjustable volume knob controls output gain with boost up to +18 dB. Adjustable "Q" knob modulates frequency breadth of effect. Peak knob manually selects the frequency center of the effect, serving the same function as the wah foot pedal."

10. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I've chossed those 3 only because of reviews. In the local stores I can get no filter at all, cause I live in small country, so i have to order it on the web anyway. I heared of EBS as well, but I saw many negative feedbacks about it, but..100 people - 100 opinions, I gues Marcus Miller uses it. Basicly what I expect from a filter pedal is a funk sound, cause funk is the music I play at this time.

11. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mark II has a good rep, it's currently topping my envelope filter list, pity I'd have to order it untried but chunk's UK distribution is pathetic.

12. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    After digind on the web I found some samples for different envelope filters. What can I cay about what I heared:
    1. Agent 00Funk - too much water, samples are cool, but it's not what I'm looking for.
    2. EBS IQ - sound of this filter misses something.
    3. Pigtronix - This one sounds better then Agent Funk and EBS to me, but this is not for my style of music.
    4. big Q-tron - I think it's close to what I want, any opinions on this one? I;m little bit affraid of dealing with ehx after having mini q-tron.

Maybe someone can post samples for Emma, Mutron, moogerfooger and Maxon Af-9?

13. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    usa
    go with maxon af-9 its got to be the closest to the mutron, it sounds amazing, i treid all the others, not tha agent funk but the rest and the af-9 is how i imagined the effect to sound, i dont know what the Q tron is all about, its got the same filter sound as the bassballs, you can't get that thick, rich sound wah that the mutron and af9 give you. go with the Maxon you wont be funked off with it!

14. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I have heared guitar samples of af-9 it sounds cool, but I'd like to hear bass samples as well.

15. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've heard that the Maxon is good for both guitar and bass because there is a range switch for high/low, as well as a switch for highpass, lowpass, and bandpass. Another plus for the Maxon AF-9 is true bypass. I'm sure if the Emma was true bypass they'd list that in the specs. I've heard reports of the Emma being a bit weak sounding. Can anyone back this up, and can anyone give a direct comparison of the Emma and the Maxon? These two are on the top of my list, but I'm leaning more toward the Maxon because of the true bypass and smaller footprint. Thanks for any insight anyone can give.

16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What's the consensus on the MXR 188 Auto Q? I'm about to order one I think.

17. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    I'm between Emma and maxon as well and maybe still interested in big q-tron, because of the good price and the sound close to what I expect from the filter pedal.

18. I love the pigtronix ep-1. It's a killer expressive pedal, and has a great phaser in it to boot.

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Personally I'd go for the Maxon. One trick I've found with it is that if you are using a passive bass, try putting a gain booster/preamp/active EQ type pedal in front of the AF9, and you'll get some super fat funky boom.