Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Finally gettin' a Geddy...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Th9nker, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yep, I need a new Back-up/companion to my Gibson T-bird...

The slim necks are similar, so that made the Geddy jazz an obvious choice...

I don't know what took me so long as I am a huge Rush fan.... :rolleyes:

2. pil

pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    ive said it before and i'll say it again - plays better than my rick, enjoy it! :bassist:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Careful or it might replace your gibson as your main bass ;)

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 :bag:

5. How are gibson basses? I'm GASing for a LP bass. I love how they look!

6. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I love my T-Bird, but they are definitly an acquired taste...

Not too familar with the LP's...

Gibson is starting to pay much more attention to their basses though...

They have five new models coming out this summer, A t-bird "Studio" 4 and 5 string versions, a double cutaway solid body Les Paul, an SQ reissue, and a "Continental V"...

Check 'em out:
    http://www.music123.com/Bass-Guitars-Gibson-b220d931.music

7. Another one bites the Geddy Lee dust!

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeehaw! Hey, I got all re-excited about my Geddy again, so I'm takin' it to the gigs this weekend. My set for the weekend will be my Zon, my Lakland, and my Geddy, and the Geddy WILL get played on a lot of stuff. :) Funny, some of the production folks we like to use have been asking me about the Geddy, cause they liked it so much when they mixed us last fall and I used it "just for fun". They commented specifically on the growl. :)

9. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    I have always liked the look of the T-Bird but I have never played one. While I am no stranger to neck dive, see my name, how bad is it with the T-Bird.

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    You'll get better participation if you start a new thread for this. ;) :bag:

11. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    It really isn't bad with the newer ones... A nice strap helps...

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice choice on your bass. It will be your main bass after playing on it for about five minutes. I almost got one myself, but went for a standard MIA Jazz.

-Mike

13. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I took the plunge too, Th9nker!

It was too good to pass up -

serious GAS cravings + income tax return + new geddy at local gc (still in the shipping box) = new bass

It probably is not the wisest choice for me (I already have a MIA Fender Jazz), and I usually try to buy very different basses to have various options (others are a frettless and a Ric).

I'm a huge Rush fan and it is a great looking bass. This combined with the value made it too good to pass up. So far, so good.

(now if it could magically make me play like Geddy . . . )

14. So, I have a question about the Geddy Lee jazz. I hate Geddy's tone, does it sound good when EQ'd differently?

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Wow, strange post, 'cause Geddy's growl, IMHO, is awesome, and yeah, the GL bass can do that tone.

However, assuming this isn't a troll post (noticed you just joined), at the end of the day, it's just a great sounding J, so depending on what you DO like (you don't say what you mean by "good"... you only say what you don't like), maybe that answers your question.

16. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I don't own a single Rush album (but I've heard 'tom sawyer' on the radio ;) ). Needless to say I'm not a big Rush fan, but the Geddy has quickly become my favorite bass!

From my own experience and judging by the disparate group of players that use the GL Jazzes, they have a tone that finds its way into most styles of music. More so than Geddy's Ric IMHO (and no, I'm not hating, I've owned a few Rics over the years). For example, earlier today, I was cleaning some stuff off of the Tivo, and I noticed the bass players for both the killers and counting crows were playijng GL jazzes, and both players got very different tones out of the GL.

As far as the LP bass mentioned awhile ago--I had a passive studio model a few years back that I regret selling. Beefy neck, but it had some serious tone and growl (I favored it over the t-bird I had at the same time).

17. I was in a hurry earlier so I didn't clarify my opinion of a good sound, sorry about that. I listen to mostly british bands, from the Beatles(in case my name didn't give it away) to the Stones, and especially Britpop and rock bands from the 90's through now(Kula Shaker, The Verve, Travis, Coldplay, Radiohead, etc.). That warm, smooth, slightly fat, a little nasty from time to time, when it's called for, sound. Basically no treble, none of that stingy, twangy, growly, tin can-ish sound like Geddy Lee is pretty well known for. I didn't mean to offend anyone if that's the sound you prefer, i just can't handle it, that's all.

I've actually been a member since 2002ish, I just set up a new account the other day, b/c my old moniker wasn't accurate anymore(311fan2001).

18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I'd say yeah, especially if you solo the neck pickup or maybe if you blend, but based on what you just said, I'd recommend a great P, not a J.

19. fenwickbacker

fenwickbacker

Jun 12, 2004
    New Orleans
    I agree w/ Vic. My band plays alot of r+b, soul, funk and some rock. I find the J bass does fine.

If I want a meatier/bass tone, I usually open both p'up's wide (or turn down the bridge p'up a little) and play over the neck p'up.

If I want more of a treble tone for some slappin' and poppin'- I back off the neck p'up and play over the bridge p'up.

I like that versatility. Mostly I play w/ both p up's open wide and my tone open wide to treble.

It's a personal thing - try them both and see what works best for you. Strings and amp will play a part in the tone as well. (Also, the fingers)

20. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I'm looking at the Geddys myself. I was going to get a Lakland, but I'm reconsidering.