Finally got a new car.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This isn't a picture on MY car, but it is the same exact thing, color and all.

This replaced my 94 saturn SW2 wagon. The suspension was completely shot on the saturn, and it was about 1000 worth of parts to repair it and another grand in labor. I opted not to, since the car already had 198,000 on the odometer. Not worth it.

This thing is a MAJOR step up. I wanted a vehicle to get me through pizza delivery until I find a better job, but this thing will NEVER have pizza in it, unless I am bringing it home to eat. So, my truck becomes the mule for a while. It's kind of wierd having a rusty, beat up 85 ford ranger next to the Sable. Oh well, I like it. It's a tank (the truck, that is).
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My grandma had one of those. :)
  3. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, I know it's a grandma car. But I like grandma cars. My wife's grandma has one. I like it. I only wish it had the 24v V6.
  4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    From the ford engineers themselves, the sable is hands down the best car Ford builds.
  5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    And no nasty bumper that can kill your garagewall :smug:
  6. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Fixed it for you...

Trevorus, I've got an '88 Ranger and a '93 Taurus. I'm just waiting to get enough scratch to get the Ranger ready for inspection again. I'll probably end up scrapping the Taurus.

Anyway, I'm assuming the Sable only came with the 3.0? It has some decent getup for a economy-ish sedan but way better than average gas mileage (highway). My next car will definitely have the Ford 3.0...
  7. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep, my mechanic says to stay miles away from the 3.8.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nice score Trev. That car will make it out here....easy. Bring the Eden wedge with you. :D

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ray...don't be a hater on Trev. He starts a thread to show off a car he just bought, then you post a picture of a car you bought that is so new that you have to wait two weeks to get it.

10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Yes, the 3.8's are garbage. The aluminum heads were the downfall of this engine. Heck, Ford should have listed "head gasket replacement" as part of the 60,000 mile maintenance requirement.

The 3.0 OHV(VIN "U" or "2") are excellent engines. Cast iron block and heads, they will run forever.

I don't really care for the 3.0 (VIN S) Duratrec megacam engine. Imo and ime they don't run any better than the archaic OHV engine does. Wasted technology, imo.

Trev- If you know anyone at a Ford dealer, give them your VIN and have them run an OASIS on it. they can let you know if any recalls are still pending on your car, and if any warranty work has been performed on the car.

Edit- If you can't get an OASIS run, pm me the VIN and I can have it done for you.
  11. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    It's the U engine (sweet) and I love the car.

BTW MJ, I traded my Eden wedge to lBanks for his GT4. I am looking for something different if you are interested in it, though...

And MikeN, I do love the U 3.0. You can change spark plugs without taking apart the intake, and you don't have to be a contorsionist to work on it. I will probably have the trans fluid changed, and do the oil and such myself. The thing I noticed about this car is that tune up and regular maintenance stuff is that it is about half as much as my Saturn cost me. I am glad for that, and it is a much better (and bigger) car. I never really like how the Saturn rode, and legroom was a major problem in the back.
  12. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Post deleted. Very insensitive of me. Sorry.