Finding a good 15 inch bass cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by one-note, Sep 1, 2004.

1. one-note

Apr 30, 2002
    I would appreciate opinion on a good 15 inch bass cab out there in the market. I want a stand-alone 8-ohm cabinet that will sound smooth and clean at high volumes, weigh 40 to 55 pounds,and also keep up with my Eden 410XLT. I tried an Epifani T115UL and found it lacking at high volume. Does such a cabinet exist?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I really liked my Peavey Black Widow....

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    The Bag End S15-D is the only high quality cab I know of that falls within your weight requirements. The Bergantino HT115 is a great cab also if you can go to 60lbs.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i played a bag end s15d (still do), and for years used it with an eden 210xlt (had to put the bag end on top)
    awesome sounding rig - the bag end is every bit as loud and the 2 compliment each other incredibly well
    if you want it full range bag end makes the s15xd which has a coaxial tweeter - phenomenal cabinet
    nuff said :D
    BasturdBlaster likes this.
  5. I wished I had found them sooner. I had a hard time trying to find them used though, so when I did find them, I bought 3 of them. Two S15X-D's and an S15-D. And I still want another.
  6. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I agree and its one of the few 115 cabs I like.
  7. Check!

Have one of those also.
  8. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I'm really happy with my DR. BASSCABS single 15 with the Emminence beta 15 in it .The cabinet weighs less than 30 lbs. and will handle 350 watts.
  9. chardin

Sep 18, 2000
    The Bag End S15-D sounds great and is only 44 lbs. Get one; you'll be glad you did.
  10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Another vote for the Bag End S15-D. If you don't need a tweeter and want lightweight, this is the one. Vintage tone if you want to dial it in, and the best mids available for a 15.
  11. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Bag End!

Highly under rated. I regularly pump 500 watts through mine. :)
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Love my Berg HT115. Bag Ends are nice, too.
  13. metal warrior

metal warrior

Sep 6, 2003
    Check out a Low Down Sound 15. Great Stuff!!!!!!
  14. I've got an old GK 1x15 that I've had since around 95, it's the cab I've had the longest...
  15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    From the Bergantino website:

Model HT115 specifications:
    • 15" cast frame woofer w/ 80oz. magnet,
    vented pole piece and 3" voice coil
    • high intelligibility tweeter with cast horn
    • power handling - 400 watts rms
    • custom phase - coherent crossover
    with tweeter level control
    • frequency response: 40hz - 18khz
    • sensitivity: 99db • anechoic: 2.83v/1m
    • impedance: 8 ohms
    • dimensions: 18"H x 22-3/4"W x 18"D
    • weight: 59lbs

Joey Nahas makes some good compact cabs from what I've heard (PM Brad Johnson).
  16. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got a Basson 1x15er that's Loud and clean, but a bit heavy and need a bit of room to "bloom".
  17. one-note

Apr 30, 2002
    Thanks to all the brothers in bass for the opinions and Bagend seems to be the preference for sound and weight. I heard a fellow playing surf music through one in Seattle, outdoors ,yet, and it sounded great.
  18. One-note,

If you're interested, I'd be willing to part with an S15X-D (with coax). I have two of these so its a bit redundant and I've been gassing hard for a berg 112. Let me know if you're interested.

Just so long as I can buy it back when I want :)