finding a keys player

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by All_¥our_Bass, Jul 17, 2005.

1. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Whats a good way to advertise things like

'Looking for keys player for expirimental/rock/heavy metal/psychedelic rock band'
    this is no joke advertisement thats our styles

let the sugegestions begin
  2. Make sure they have their own equipment, and transportation?

Here's a classified ad I placed when we were looking for a drummer. I know you want keys, but I assume you want similar things:

"Local band Total Posers looking for drummer.
    Rock covers and originals.
    Must own drum kit, experience a plus. 18+ only.
    Call Mason at xxx-xxx-xxxx"

I placed this in the local paper and had two responses within a week, plus a lead on a third drummer. We ended up going with the second guy to call. I would definitely use a classified ad in the paper again, if needed.

I kept it pretty basic and to the point. The drum kit and age were our main concerns. We figured we'd find someone in the area, so we weren't that worried about transportation, since our guitarist has a pick-up truck if needed...but any drummer over 18 is likely going to have their own vehicle, I figured.

If I'd had more space, I would've included something about "no heavy drinkers, drug users." Of course, with the kind of music you're playing, maybe you want people like that... j/k :D
  3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    We are going through the same thing right now looking for a new lead guitar player.

I don't remember what our ad said (drummer put it in papers, I didn't), but we have had a lot of responses. In fact, we have 2 more guys coming this afternoon to try out. Yesterday's auditions didn't go too well, both of those guys were told that they were not what we were looking for. Hopefully today goes better. :rolleyes:

And we have a couple more coming next weekend, so the whole ad in the paper idea has seemed to work well.