1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Finding a roommate

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Figured I might as well ask here if anybody has tips.

So far I've put an ad on most local classifieds websites, even the paying ones, as well as on the university's student housing web billboard. I got a few hits with questions and the such but nothing solid.

The only other thing I'm thinking about is the actual billboards on the campus, but it seems a bit pointless as the ads I saw on those where left totally untouched.

I don't want to move out of this apartment as it's very very close to the campus, well lit, pretty big and pretty inexpensive. But if I do not find a roommate for the coming year I might be forced to.

I never thought finding a roommate in a town with that many students would be so hard.

Anybody has tips/idea or funny comments?

2. Start talking to people and say that you have a room for rent. Someone will know someone that is looking for a place.

lowsound

3. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I asked everybody I know before posting ads, it did not yield any results, sadly. My roommate who is leaving did the same on his side as we have different social circles. I also asked a few teachers (family friends) at my previous college if they knew of any students switching college and that did not yield any results either.

4. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Buy that expensive coffee machine you've been talking about, then include a picture of it in your advert telling people you know how to use it.

You'll have students lining up out the door to move in!

5. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Haha! I actually bought a small espresso machine, maybe I should try that :D

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Simo98's comment cracked me up, and it's a great idea.

Could you expand your search beyond students?

-Mike

7. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Yep. If you want people around you, you have to provide something they want.

Unless you're a hot woman. Then that something is you. :D

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Hang around in bars.

9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Yeah, nothing like having a lush for a roommate!

10. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    There is some truth to that, I did not meet many people this year as I did not go out at all. I guess I'm paying the price of having no social life now :ninja:

11. Put your avatar up in the ad.

Prospective females will be lining the pavement, demanding you allow them to live with you :D

12. My CL is truly about 50% horrible i wanna move out asap and 50% made friends for life. I found no gray area. This is in santa cruz though. People are cooler here. Good luck! (Or just eff it and move out here man!)

13. Change the ads you're putting out. It's obvious at this point that no one wants to be even kind of near you (even your old room-mate is trying to get away...). If you really want to get a room-mate, you have to advertise something else first...draw them in by putting out ads for that cool espresso machine you have...say you're selling it very cheap but they have to pick it up at your place. Bag and tag 'em. Boom. New room-mate.

14. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    You're mistaken as I'm awesome. (My roommate is moving to pursue his PhD elsewhere.)

15. Just trying to help you get a roommate. You can try other options, but, ultimately, everyone comes back to the tried-and-true bag and tag method. :ninja:

16. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    I think Kenzy's on the right track.
    Also, you could wait by the window with a bucket of used bath-water , until someone you might think would be appropriate happens by.
    Spill the bath-water on them , appologize , invite them in to dry off .
    While they're waiting for their clothes to dry , assess whether or not they are appropriate physically and offer to mend their socks.
    Use the coarsest thread you have , this way every time it scratches them
    they'll be reminded of your new friendship.

17. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
    ...?
    :cool:

18. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Hire someone incredibly attractive to play you in your interviews and craigslist ads; someone charming, with a quick wit, and a willingness to really do some "method acting."

Lease is signed, "you" move out, to be replaced by their cousin Ziltoid, who's vouched for by "you." "Really cool guy, doesn't spend all day chatting with bassists online."

With that, and some incriminating blackmail, you should be solid on retaining them for the semester.

We in the grifting business call that one the "soft yolk in a hard pan."

19. Without my glasses, I read "finding a remote". Finding a room mate is definitely easier.

20. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    There's some pretty sick and deviant individuals on this website. Must be why I love this place :D