1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finding People To Jam/play With

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by BassEyeDoc, Apr 22, 2010.

1. BassEyeDoc

BassEyeDoc

Dec 25, 2009
    I've been playing for about 6 months now and am ready to jam/play with others now. What's a good way to find others to play with. I'm going to talk to my teacher today to see if he's got any other students in about the same situation, but am looking at all options.

I'm Racine, WI FWIW.

JW

2. craigslist?:confused:

3. BassEyeDoc

BassEyeDoc

Dec 25, 2009
    I've considered CL but haven't put anything out there. All of the seeking musician posts I've seen here on CL were for groups seeking musicians or musicians seeking a group.

4. hall1k

hall1k

Jun 14, 2009
    isn't that what you're looking for?

5. CG Jones

CG Jones

Mar 9, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    I've been trying the ad route, without any luck so far. Really depends on timing -- and how picky you are. If I wanted to play screamo with 15 year-olds, I'd be in business!

Talk to your teacher, try to do some networking that way. Failing that, I've been told that open mics or jams are good ways to meet others.

6. BassEyeDoc

BassEyeDoc

Dec 25, 2009
    I'm just looking tonplay with someone (maybe 2 people) from time to time. Not form a band. That's what the others are looking to join form.

7. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    make an add saying just that. also, in your case, it might be helpful to list a few songs that you can play so that you'll have some common ground to jam.

another place to check is open mics at bars, coffee shops, etc. being able to play a 12-bar blues is a good starting place for those kinds of things.

a consideration- if you get together with another electric instruments (guit, keys, etc), i found it beneficial to have a drummer in the early days. the skins will keep everyone synched up.

8. COBRARI

COBRARI

Apr 16, 2010
    Sacramento
    As posters have suggested... open mic jams.
    They are for the most part blues because of the simple 1-4-5
    format. Learn a couple slow tunes and a couple boogie woogie s and a shuffle or two.
    You might not be a big fan of the Blues but I know of no quicker way to meet other players, learn how to change keys and get along. Open mic jams are very forgiving and are ideal for new players to get some confidence in their playing.

Check you local newspaper for bars that provide this kind of
    entertainment. You only need to bring your "tuned bass".
    The house band (for most open mics) provide a house amp.
    The spotlight won't be on you. Lots of guitarists, few bass players.