1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finger arthritis: any tips?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nedmundo, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    More good stuff here. Powerbass, I'll watch for hyperextension, but I don't think that's it. Actually, it feels stiff and painful when flexing, near the end of its travel. There's also pain when pressing on one side of the joint, which I discussed with the doctor. After the appointment, I noticed this also exists in the middle joint on the same finger. That could certainly be ligament stress. It does seem to be getting better, but slowly.

And @ Agreatheight, I had trigger finger once too. It was extremely painful, but after some ineffective approaches one cortisone shot took it right out.

I'm starting to enjoy pick playing a little more. It's always been part of my repertoire, but doing it full-time has allowed me to explore it further. It's interesting.

Thanks again for all the input.

2. jwasil

jwasil

Nov 19, 2011
    Delaware Ohio
    I can only tell you that for upright bass players, it seems that lowering the bottom post (the bass is lower to the ground) makes it easier for some reason. The only problem is if you have to bow the bass, but otherwise it works for me. If you bow an upright bass, the German bow is much better. I hope that you see somebody soon, and don't let somebody tell you that you can't do anything about it! It just gets worse. Trust me!

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021