Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard - is the harder the ebony the better??

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bassdogEmer, Oct 5, 2005.

1. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    Hi - I am havng my lutheir install a new fingerboard (along w/a new neck). He says he has some great pieces of Ebony he got from India and that this wood is a good block of ebony- good thickness - but my question is about how hard the wood is. He says it's pretty hard - thus a little ambigious to me. I can have him order a new board ofcourse this will hold up my restoration proccess which is fine - but do any of you know how important it is for me to wait and try to get a super hard peice of ebony? how and what type of differences are we talking in terms of playability?? is harder wood better??

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ebony may vary about 15% within the various species. The Hardest or heaviest is not always the best. Stability is more important. If cutting from a large block, the piece can move over time as ebony does not dry easily or quickly in Block Form. This also depends on the size he is talking about. New neck or neck graft? I am curious who this person is in the NY area that does not have Ebony FB stock. Par for the course in a Bass shop. Like having Buns for the hamburgers. Gotta have em..

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I know you are all hooked up and everything, but I have to say once again what a superlative job Jeff Bollbach did on my fingerboard replacement. ANYBODY who is thinking about getting this done really should at least have a phone conversation with Jeff. And you're more than welcome to check out the job he did on my bass.

5. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    Hey Ken - I'm having Bill Merchant do the work for me. I have been very happy with all the work he has done for me over the years. Thanks for answering my questions. I took from your reply that there isn't a whole bunch of difference in terms of the hardness of the wood. It's got be about whats available today verses 10 years ago and so on.
    and thanks Ed - I spoke to Jeff over the phone and he is a really nice guy and open with his knowledge.