1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingerboard Repair?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by gb_kaybass, Apr 19, 2006.

1. gb_kaybass

gb_kaybass

Apr 19, 2006
    North Carolina
    Hey Guys. First posting, so bear with me. I recently purchased a 1951 Kay bass in awesome shape. Only, the FB has ruts/worn grooves at the A & D strings at the C & F position. When playing a C, you'll get a little rattle going on. My question is ...Does this qualify as a complete FB dressing or is there a way to repair just the worn spots? The rest of the FB is good. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You kind of have to plane the whole fingerboard so that you restore a playable surface. Because if you just fix the "spots" then the rest of the fingerboard is going to be higher, right?

51 Kay, prolly a nice rosewood board? If it's not too thin, a dressing will be OK. You would be amazed at what a nice, thick ebony board will do for the sound of the bass.

3. I made that mistake. Once. That was all it took.

4. gb_kaybass

gb_kaybass

Apr 19, 2006
    North Carolina
    I apologize for not being more specific, but I was trying to ask for a simpler, temporary "fill in" solution to hold me until the gigs slowed down and I would have an opportunity to take it to get the FB dressed. However; I just made an appointment to take it to a luthier who will do it the same day and I can keep on rollin'. Thanks for the advice. I love reading all of your advice and comments. Very informative! GB