Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingerboard scoop

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by heymrbassman, Oct 16, 2003.

1. How much does the shape of the board affect the sound and playability?

I have a medium action and i don't want to go any lower but I would love to have more growl in the sound.

I don't want the strings any lower because of the right hand. I need to feel the strings not the board. If they get too close I find it hard to dig in.

I don't have an adjustable bridge as i was told it would affect the tone of the instrument. Now I'm thinking i should get one just to experiment.

2. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    Press the G string down on both ends of the fingerboard and have someone measure the amount of "scoop" under the string at its deepest point. Do the same under the E string. Report back here and we luthiers will be able to give you our two cents (pence?) about your fingerboard. As far as bridge, I've yet to hear a pizz player complain about tone when adjusters are installed in their bridges. Yes, if you want more growl, you'll want to have minimal camber (scoop); your instincts are correct.

3. mhartery

mhartery

Jun 27, 2002
    So where should the lowest point of scoop be under the G string, D string, A string? At the middle harmonic?
    And where should it be for the E string?
    So after one finds where the lowest point of camber is ..how low does that camber go when one presses down the string on either end of the Finger board?

4. Thanks

I'll go measure my camber at the weekend.

"Two pence" just doesn't have the same ring to it. Now if you were talking a pony or two ...;)