Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fingering question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bassmantele, Jan 10, 2004.

1. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    How would you finger this lick from LZs Good Times Bad Times with your right hand? I mean the D-A-D three string part.
    Thanks.

|-----7---7---------------|
    |---7---7---7---4-7-------|
    |-5-----------5-----4-5-6-|
    |-------------------------|

2. A-5 then D-7 then G-7 then D-7 then G-7 then D-7 then A-5 then D-4 then D-7 then A-4 then A-5 then A-6.

Timing I don't know because I don't know the song. But this would be the order to play the notes in. If I'm wrong someone will correct me.

3. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I'm talking about the right hand picking. Raking down feels awkward but alternate fingering feels worse. I almost want to play it with three fingers.

4. If you can get it down correctly, play it how you like but try not to develop bad habits :)

5. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    I'd probably try strict two finger alternation wit a rake:

m i m i m m m i m i m i

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd thumb the A, index the D, and middle the G.

7. If you can control the rake (i.e.- its in time and not sloppy) and that is easier, rake that. I have played that before, and I just alternated. it may feel crappy, but once you get a good alteration between fingers, it makes playing in general easier, especially stuff like fast finger funk and string crossing in general.

8. I'd alternate the index and middle fingers.