1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fingerstyle Ric?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by prd004, Jan 9, 2012.

1. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Any Ric guys out there play primarily fingerstyle??????? I'm aware of some great pic/Ric tones but can't think of any fingerstyle off the top of my head.

I've decided to get a new bass this year and a Ric has always been on my gas list. In fact of the four or five atop my gas list the Ric is one I could most afford.

I'm primarily a finger player though so how many fellow T'bassers out there have any input to share?

Thanks in advance

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Geddy Lee in Rush's early days (from Fly by Night to Moving Pictures) favored them. Personally, I always dug his tone.

3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    I do .

Works fine , sounds great . My right hand floats , I don't anchor it anywhere so I use the area from the bridge to well over the fingerboard depending on the tone I want . I'm more likely to use a pick on a Pbass than a Ric .

4. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I've been playing Rics sans pick since about 1988. Works for me.

5. steddy2112

steddy2112

Aug 19, 2007
    Newark, DE
    I play without a pick

Works a ton better fingerstyle without the pickup cover

6. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Primarily fingerstyle over here with my Ricks.

7. Indeed, first one I thought of was Geddy. Cliff Burton played Rics a lot, as well.

8. cassius987

cassius987 Banned

Apr 20, 2007
    Denver, CO
  9. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    I play mine fingerstyle most of the time and I get a nice punchy, full sound. Rics can do a lot more than people give them credit for.
    IT'S IN THE PLAYER, NOT THE BASS.

10. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    Thanks for the input. I knew Geddy Lee played a Ric fingerstyle back in the day, but I also heard him say that he grew out his fingernails to get more of a pick sound.

Keep it coming.............,,,.,...,...!

11. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Yeah I agree w/ric4682. I had one for a long time & never used a pick. In fact I never use picks. My calluses on my plucking fingers are so hard they sound like a pick anyway in the studio. I end up using my thumb or sticking foam under the strings to deaden it.

12. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I use my fingers mostly with my Ric and a pick when its called for.

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i never use a pick on my rics and IMO, they sound great. i run TI flats on one of them and stainless rounds on the other.

14. artdrtr

artdrtr

Jan 24, 2008
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Unknown.
    "If you have a Ric, you must not use a pick"

Have never used a pick with my Ric. Took the PU cover off and installed the treble bezel to cover the hole. Thumb floats or rests against the front edge of the PU plate. Heaven!

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I rarely used a pick with my RIC.

P.S. Rick James used to slap the hell out of his RIC!

16. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I like the sound of my rickenbacker played fingerstyle more than with a pick.

The pick is cool when you're going for something bright, aggressive and overdriven though!

17. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    Finger style all the way. I like the sound of the pick, I just don't like to play that way.

18. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Apr 28, 2010
    Kansas City, MO
    I say when its called for due to my own deficiencies. Meaning my fingers are slow at times.:)

19. tomshad

tomshad

Feb 15, 2007
    Noone has mentioned Paul McCartney during Wings era played a Rick sans pick I think ".... silly lovesongs"

20. tomshad

tomshad

Feb 15, 2007
    I have a Rick 4000 with one pickup... Fingerstyle... Very woofy