1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Finish over hand-drawn designs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sbass traveller, May 30, 2011.

1. -hopefully I have the right sub-forum for this question-
    :help:
    My friend just picked up a new guitar this weekend, and wants to have some custom designs and drawings put on it by a cartoonist friend of his.

We had a discussion on what type of clear finish to use so that the drawings won't wipe/rub off and we're still stumped, so I thought I'd pose the question here to those with more experience than I.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? What would be a good way to coat it? Maybe a kind of marker that should be used in addition to a clear coat? What kind of application procedure (ie, light sanding before drawing and refinishing...)?

Difficulty: we're in China, and although everything seems to be made here, actually finding what we need might be difficult/expensive. I suggested clear nail polish, but that does have a tendency to chip/wear, and won't go on very smooth. Also, I don't think he wants to take apart the guitar to accomplish a full re-finish.

Any ideas?