1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

finished my 4string

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by black_labb, Sep 15, 2008.

1. have been using the bass for band without a finish and a single bridge pup. had a couple weeks off band as the drummer had more work duties temporarily, so i finished it (its my only bass, so i wasnt able to use another while finishing it).

i made the pups and truss rods myself. was originally going to have a simple preamp, but changed my mind and went with passive electronics, and rewound the pups to suit.

some details
    33" scale, 22 frets
    neck is a 1pc, but 5 piece laminate (new guinea rosewood, wenge, zebrano, wenge, ng rosewood). fillet strip is american walnut
    body wings are also ng rosewood.
    jumbo frets
    danish oiled (aside from the pup covers, which are laquered)

instrument is wired like a jazz bass (vol neck, vol bridge tone) but with a series/paralell and a phase switch. used 500k vol pots, and a 1M tone pot with a 47pf cap. i use 1M tone pots almost exclusively, as they are more versatile than lower values (they act a variable resistors, so they can be turned down a bit to get the equivalent effect of a 500 or 250k pot on full.
    the instrument sounds great. the bridge gives a great middy sound, the neck gives a nice clean and fat sound and blending them can get quite a few great tones. the series position gives a very fat, full and somewhat loose sound (like a p bass, but maybe fuller). the use of the bridge pup makes it not muddy, but still sounds very fat with lots of low mids. used that all of band practice, and everyone loved the sound(use a pick for band, as we are a trio where the guitar uses a slide almost exclusively, and the bass fills out more of the mids that a guitar usually would). im sure i'll use the other settings more when i am playing fingerstyle. i thought i really liked the sound before i rewound the pups and wired up the bass, but now i am absolutely stunned with how well it sounds. after shielding it it is silent, with a tiny bit of hum when on a single pup (they are set up to cancel hum when they are equal, like a humbucker)

the instrument plays very well. it has a small headstock and long upper horn, making the balance perfect. makes my friends squier p feel like a neck diver. the neck is thick and round. has the same width as a p neck, but is rounder. i prefer a rounder neck, and after playing this it makes my friends squier p feel too thin and uncomfortable due to the thinness. i love a fat neck. action is fairly high. just the way i like it (i know im somewhat of a rare breed with my like for really thick necks and high action, but this one is for me).

oh, i lied before, i still need to put a finish on the truss rod cover

here are some pics.

bassfront.

bassrear.

basstopside.

bassbottomside.

here are the pups before i rewound them
    basspups.

2. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    that looks sweet. remind's me of an old vantage i used to have.

3. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    beautiful!

4. thanks guys

here are 2 extra photos i just took. realalised i didnt have any decent views of the neck/headstock.

bassbackofneck.

bassneckfront.

you can see one of the mistakes i did. when i was calculating the spot for the tuners to be drilled. the g is too close to the middle, putting it off centre.

5. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Hey nice bass,but just wind the string the other way around that g tuner,Yeah it ' tune backwards but will look better

6. thanks but not really necessary funkdrawer. the photo exentuates it more than it really is due to the angle the photo was taken from.

7. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    something i didn't notice before, but the action doesn't look all that high to me.
    i mean, it's higher than what i would normally play, but not crazy high.

8. its not crazy crazy high, but higher than most people would strive for. those photos arent great demonstrations of the action really.

i should probably take a straight on photo so that the body doesnt look as wide as it does in the photo's

9. I don't know where the idea of it having high action came from. The action looks pretty great to me... or maybe my bass's just really high. The bass really looks pretty good... Except maybe the headstock looks a little bland for such a nice set of wood and body shape. It's a bummer about the hole for the tuner but it's life. Does it play as good as it looks?

Would you say you saved money on winding the pickups yourself? And are you satisfied with the end results- sound-wise?

10. Looks GREAT Black labb!!!! Congrats!! Wound the Pups too!! Awesome!! Well DONE!!

11. here are some straight on shots. tried to get a decent shot of the action, but it didnt come out well. maybe when i get it into some natural light it will be better.

rear.

frontflat.

12. you know if it wasn't for that misplaced tuner on the G-string...that bass would be pretty incredible...It's just that my eye is constantly drawn to that...

nevertheless...great job!

13. Yea, it's true.

If you really want to fix it, you could always take a chunk of the laminated neck if you have any leftover, cut a dowel from it with a peg drill bit, and fill it in with the piece, so it matches. It wouldn't have to be perfect, just enough to blend in. Then just re-drill the hole for the tuner and you'll be good.

14. do have some left, may do it one day, but to tell you the truth, i forgot it even existed until i was examining the photos. i guess its part of the instruments quirks to me. i have a 5 string part way finished, maybe once i finish that i'll do the surgery.

15. tofumonster

tofumonster

Aug 28, 2008
    First off, really nice job.

I'm about to attempt a bass build of my own at my school's woodshop, but i'm still a little confused with the exact configurations/placement of all the electronics. Would there be anyway for you to post a shot of the internals of the electronics (I don't even know all the terminology yet :rolleyes:)

Thanks that be great if you could!

16. i'll take some pics tomorrow for you. im not quite sure what you need them for exactly, but i'll do my best.