Finishing Tips/Very Insightful Pore Filler Article

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jtrom, Mar 26, 2020.

1. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    For the last couple days I've been researching how I am wanting to finish my current build. The wood I am using is American Chestnut (harvested locally off Bowen Island) and it is very porous. I would like to stain the back of the bass dark, have a natural faux binding, and finish the top with a semi transparent yellow/gold paint.

I have looked all over the TB universe and have found many different instances but I have found this article from Canadian Woodworking to be very insightful. If you have any questions about pore/grain filling and the order of stain, grain filler, sanding sealer then this gives some direct answers.

Pore Fillers - Canadian Woodworking Magazine

Beej and Gilmourisgod like this.
  2. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Thanks for posting that. So which one did you end up using? I’ve been trying to go all water based, so I’d lean towards one of them myself, but I’ve never used grain filler. On my next build I’m considering epoxy, as some other builders have, but maybe I’ll try one of the WB products instead.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  3. Huw Phillips

Huw Phillips Life is like TV if the channel sucks change it Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2019
    Hoboken
    Great information, I would add that the grain fillers would be cheaper and Easier to sand than west system, west system is an amazing product designed for use above and below the waterline on boats and as a result it’s a bitch to sand,if anyone still wants a 2 part epoxy finish that’s easier to sand look up fairing compounds, these are used for shaping on boat hulls and other structures, there typically very light and sand well, Awlgrip is the best producer of these products most planes have an awlgrip finish, however it’s very nasty stuff like west if not worse, but the finish is amazing

4. jtrom

jtrom

Nov 22, 2008
    Kelowna BC
    I haven’t pulled the trigger on a finish yet as I’m still sanding the body down... will probably order some WB and have to wait 5 weeks for it to arrive haha.

I was talking with some folks on here about the epoxy and they advised against the method if you’re using stain. They said it worked great for natural finishes...

I’m still a little confused about how I’m going to stain the bass and keep a faux binding without bleed ... maybe some staining primer or something would help

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021