1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fire wire??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Rooney, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    This is the first thread I've started. So Hi all.

Got a question about firewire. I have searched on this and couldn't find anything.

How much of a setback is having only a four pin firewire connection on the pc or laptop? I'm looking at a mackie onyx 1640 and I assume it uses a 6 pin connection. Am I correct in this? Is there an adaptor to go from 4 to 6? It would be safe to assume that 6 pins can transmit more info faster than 4?

Aren't I full of assumptions? I hope a couple of them are wrong.:)

2. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    I just got a firewire hard drive for my laptop. My laptop (as most/all pc laptops) doesn't have a 6-pin connections. I think mac laptops are the only ones that have the luxury of 6-pin connections. But my new drive works excellent with the 4-pin connection.

But as far as I understand/know, the only difference is power supply. 6-pin supplies (sufficient?) power, while 4-pin doesn't.

An example would be how the f/w works with an iPod. If you use a 4 pin, the iPod won't get charged, but a 6-pin charges the iPod. So if I'm not wrong, the two extra pins doesn't have anything with data transfer, but are only for extra power.

So, the 6-pin connection will be needed if you want to plug in a device to your computer and not have any power cords connected to it. I think a lot of soundcards works that way. (You have to use external power if you use a 4-pin connector, and not if you have a 6-pin connector.)

Bottom line:
    I'm almost certain that using a 4-pin connection with the mackie won't affect the data transfer. A big device like that is (probably) externally powered, and should not require the power that a 6-pin connection delivers. You shouldn't need an adapter either. All you need is a f/w cable with a 4-pin in one end and a 6-pin in the other end. They shouldn't be too expensive or hard to find.

Alternatively, if things turn out that I'm completely wrong and that you need a 6-pin port, you could buy (for laptop) a PCMCIA card with 6-pin firewire connections.

3. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    Jokke_v,

Thank you for the reply. I was happy to find that I had a firewire connection at all on my laptop last night. Once I figured out that there were two different configs I was a little concerned. Makes sense on two of the pins being a power source. But like you said, if worse comes to worse, I can upgrade my laptop to have the 6 pins.

Thanks for the info.

Rooney

4. jokke_v

jokke_v

Aug 15, 2003
    Bergen, Norway
    No prob. :smug:

I've had the same concerns myself, you know.

5. nobes

nobes

Feb 14, 2006
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    what Jokke_v said was completely correct, the two extra pins are to supply power. So as long as you have an external power supply on the mackie you will have no problems whatsoever.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Well, he wasn't completely correct.

My HP computer has a 6 pin firewire interface. I use it with my Presonus Firebox, and it is powered by the firewire.

So, it's not just Macs that can have 6 pin.

7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    +1

8. Rooney

Rooney

Jan 5, 2006
    Kenton, Oh
    Great!

Thanks a bunch for the help folks!