1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

First Act Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robbotbass, Jan 20, 2012.

1. I see these Jokers on sale at places like Target and Wal-Mart, but has any one ever played a First Act Bass? I read on their wiki that some big names have endorsed these guitars but I wonder if it's just for money?

First Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just wondering what they actually sounded like.

2. +1

Those guys know how to build guitars. They do a great business in the entry-level market, but their custom shop stuff is top-notch.

3. Oh I'm sure it's night and day I guess I should be a little more specific. When I say has any one played the Wal-Mart stuff. I get asked alot by parents if they would be a first good guitar or bass for their kid and I really can't say because I've never heard or played one, or seen one out side the box for that matter

4. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I have a custom shop guitar I found at a yard sale....solid chunk of wood, good pickups. Not sure about their basses, but the guitar is good, so I assume their basses are just as good.

5. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    I played one of their guitars briefly several years ago; a friend's little sister had gotten it for Christmas I believe. It didn't feel terrible, but I also didn't play it for more than a few minutes. The price is pretty attractive though, especially as a starter.

6. I have a cheap first act acoustic guitar that I've had for a few years....it's like a tank and holds tune okay but it's still just a $30 guitar

7. I'm a teacher with around 20 students on average. I've seen a few entry-level First Act guitars. Surprisingly good at that price point. My critieria for entry-level instruments are (1) they can be set-up for ease of playability, (2) they tune up and intonate properly, and (3) they stay in tune for a reasonable length of time, and (4) the electronics function properly. That's it. That gets the beginner a ways down the road.

And the entry level First Acts I've seen have fit the bill.

8. Awesome thats all I really wanted to know as well. I've seen some kids with pawn shop no name basses that the action was so high you could stick a deck of cards between the strings and fretboard and they come to me asking my their bass sounds like crap and why they have a hard time playing it. Then they tell me what they paid and I about crap a cat at some of the prices they payed.

9. A friend of mine has a First Act P-Bass... The neck has bowed so much its hardly playable, I tried fixing it up for him but the truss rod hardly has any effect its bowed so much. Also, the frets are really sharp and I can see potential for a nasty hand wound happening. Not to say every one of these is like this, but its definitely a temporary instrument. The instrument allowed my buddy to learn bass and that's really what counts, he plays a MM Stingray now.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Where do they sell their better basses? I'm digging the looks of the Delgada, but in a quick search couldn't find any prices or availablility.

11. JMimbs

JMimbs

Jan 5, 2012
    Central Florida
    There used to be a small guitar shop in my town that sold instruments like that. Utter crap, and they charged premium prices for them. Of course they also maintained that acoustic bass guitars were incredibly rare and super expensive. I guess its no surprise they shut down. :rollno:

12. I guess one good thing about buying it at Wal-Mart they will take it right back.

13. Yeah, I prefer my students consult me before buying their first instrument.

Are you teaching?

I usually offer a basic set-up free of charge for my new students. I like to ensure the instrument plays well and won't impede them learning what I'm trying to teach them, and it's a goodwill gesture for selling my teaching services. If I can't get the guitar to set up correctly without a trip to one of my techs, it's time to return it and try something else.

14. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I've played two of them and did a setup on one. They are priced appropriately.
    They are not quality, but at the same time, there is nothing specifically wrong with them.

Good for a student exploring a new hobby planning to buy a better instrument later.
    Not good for anyone wanting to invest in an instrument to use and rely on.

15. I don't teach (bass) but I'm active in the High School as a substitute teacher and everyone knows I play so I have students (not bass students) ask me to look at their basses to see what I think.

16. Their custom shop stuff is nice! I had a guitar I bought for 20 and sold for 50 the next day. Was really good for the price.

17. Joe, I'm not sure where they are stocked, if anywhere at all. I've never seen a retailer for the high-end stuff and I always assumed it was custom-shop only.

The Delgada is way cool. There are tons of custom options from guts to finish. I have seen some incredible First Act guitars and basses.

The price is, of course, reflective of this.

18. The Delgada is a Gibson RD Artist copy. For the price they're asking for their custom series basses, I'd get the original.

First act is endorsing a lot of artists in the hardcore/metal scene lately. I suppose their stuff is pretty popular with touring bands that will go through a lot of instruments due to all the stagediving and trashiness going on during these shows. Just look of for the band "The Chariot"

I played as an opening act for Cancer Bats last year and their bassist snapped the neck off of his Delgada in the middle of a song. I've never seen anything like it and by the look on his face, neither did he.

I bet they're great for touring artists. Inexpensive and disposable instruments.

19. Really?

I've priced out a few First Act Custom Shop builds, and I never got one into what I would call the "inexpensive" range.

20. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Custom Shop guitars, available only at WalMart. What next?